Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have some requirement to run a script as root by some other user (which is not root). The script adds a new user using / usr / sbin ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Script as Root

Hi

I have some requirement to run a script as root by some other user (which is not root).
    The script adds a new user using / usr / sbin / useradd. I have used SETUID on the script but it still does not work. Following is my script:

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 14 Feb 14 05:34 createuser.sh

cat createuser.sh
    useradd ztest

When I run this from some other user I get following:

. / createuser.sh
    Permission denied

Can you please help me doing this? I am no expert in Linux and may be asking something stupid.

Just a note that I understand the security risk but I still want to do for reasons.

Zulqarnain

By default, suid has no effect on scripts.
    Explanation is here Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (4/7) [Frequent posting]Section - How can I get setuid shell scripts to work?

In your case, you could give this other user access to useradd via sudo.
    However, then you can as well give him/her root.
    It would be just one line for him/her to add a user with uid 0 and a password.

Maybe puppet or chef can be used in your case.
    Your user can develop manifests/recipes, but they will be peer-reviewed, revision controlled via git or svn and executed by the appropiate puppet/chef client.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Enthusiast
    Scripts can not use the "SUID" bit as they can not call the unix standard setuid function (see man 2 setuid) and as such can not be ever run as setuid program (yes this is my design as running shell scripts with setuid isn't very safe). However, you can allow a specific command (including scripts) to be run my a user via sudo with proper configuration.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by zulqarnainhabib View Post
    Hi

I have some requirement to run a script as root by some other user (which is not root).
    The script adds a new user using / usr / sbin / useradd. I have used SETUID on the script but it still does not work. Following is my script:

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 14 Feb 14 05:34 createuser.sh

cat createuser.sh
    useradd ztest

When I run this from some other user I get following:

. / createuser.sh
    Permission denied

Can you please help me doing this? I am no expert in Linux and may be asking something stupid.

Just a note that I understand the security risk but I still want to do for reasons.

Zulqarnain

If you have root access then edit /etc/sudoers file and add this in the last line

Code:
    username ALL=/usr/sbin/useradd,/usr/bin/passwd
    save and force exit.

Edit your script as

Code:
    read -p "Enter Username: " user
    sudo /usr/sbin/useradd $user
    sudo /usr/bin/passwd $user
    Jazak Allah
    Sohail