Find the answer to your Linux question:
can the following line be turned into a script file? let x=10;while [ $x -gt 0 ];do clear; figlet $x;let x-=1;sleep 2;done Just started learning Bash and every time I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to make sh file

can the following line be turned into a script file?

let x=10;while [ $x -gt 0 ];do clear; figlet $x;let x-=1;sleep 2;done

Just started learning Bash and every time I try to run this file it comes back with the error:

figlet.sh: command not found

i did make it excutable. Also tried putting ./ in front of file. If it can be done just give me a hint on what I need to look at. Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    For a script to run there are three things that need to be done.

1) In the script itself it must start with a special comment (referred to as the she-bang line or hack). This is a comment line in the script as the first line:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    This tells the program that reads and runs the script (in this case bash which is found in "/bin/bash").

2) The permissions need to be changed to allow it to be executed. Here some examples of changing the permissions of a file:
    Code:
    chmod 755 filename

chmod u+x filename
    3) Place the file in a directory that you have added to your PATH environment variable or include the path when executing the script (or program binary if using C, C++, FORTRAN, ADA, etc).

Just Joined!
    Had done all that. The file is in my home dir. If I right click on the file from the desktop I get the option to run in terminal and it runs as it should. But from inside terminal in my home dir and typing the file name I get that error message. Doing the ls command does show the file being there. Thanks for your help.
    Ham____

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you would like to run your file in terminal then you need to cd to the folder then type: "./script.name" and that should run your script.

Linux Enthusiast
    open a terminal and run your script from there.

Just Joined!

Solved

Thanks for all the in put---SOLVED---http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif