Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi So I have a bit of a problem with a CSV data file. It is a record of simulation data where each line is a different trial run. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

add characters to end of line in file (diff num of char per line)

Hi

So I have a bit of a problem with a CSV data file. It is a record of simulation data where each line is a different trial run.

My problem is that each line has a different number of values and MATLAB therefore wont dump the file into a matrix for me. I have been opening the file in spread sheet and adding comma separated zeros to buffer the lines to make them the same length up until now with short simulations.

However I have my final simulation that is really long and exceeds the maximum row length for open office spread sheet (i learned my lesson, next time i will record data in columns).

So i thought i would create a script to add ,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 data.

The tricky part is i have to add a different number of zeros (CSV) to each line:

line 1 310 zeros
    line 2 253 zeros
    line 3 252 zeros
    line 4 197 zeros
    line 5 145 zeros
    line 6 94 zeros
    line 7 93 zeros
    line 8 46 zeros
    line 9 0 zeros
    line 10 1 zeros
    line 11 2 zeros

I am a bit stumped. I have read about 'adding a character the end of a line' but what i am after is 'adding a character to the end of a specific line'. As in:

append to line 1: ",0" (loop 310 times)
    append to line 2: ",0" (loop 253 times)

Any helpful ideas? My linux script syntax is veeery rusty.

cheers
    Alex

Just Joined!
    oops, muhahahahaha solved it in MATLAB (made script to count commas then declared zeroed matrix in MATLAB prior to load).
    silly me