Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone! I am very new to BASH scripting and was hoping for some help. I am working on a project for my Linux class, and am quite confused. We ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to BASH scripting help

Hello Everyone!

I am very new to BASH scripting and was hoping for some help. I am working on a project for my Linux class, and am quite confused. We each need to design our own advanced BASH script. This is what I thought of I would like to have a text file act as a database with MD5 sums of files placed in there. Then when you fire up the shell script it references that file and then searches all files for a match with that MD5. After finding a match it then moves those file files into a folder. I figure they could search for a couple of text documents that I created. I am familar with grep, read, and the md5sum commands. I just do not know how to pull this together. Maybe this is not even possible with BASH, but any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    It looks like md5deep may be more appropriate for this. Anyone agree?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron9615 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I am very new to BASH scripting and was hoping for some help. I am working on a project for my Linux class, and am quite confused. We each need to design our own advanced BASH script. This is what I thought of I would like to have a text file act as a database with MD5 sums of files placed in there. Then when you fire up the shell script it references that file and then searches all files for a match with that MD5. After finding a match it then moves those file files into a folder. I figure they could search for a couple of text documents that I created. I am familar with grep, read, and the md5sum commands. I just do not know how to pull this together. Maybe this is not even possible with BASH, but any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    I've got a bash script that I use to remove files having duplicate contents but different filenames. Maybe you can modify it to suit your purposes. Here it is:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    rm -f /tmp/sums.txt
    OLDIFS=$IFS
    IFS=$(printf "%b" "\n")
    for fn in *
    do
    if [ "$fn" != "mshowdupfiles" ]
    then
    if [ -d "$fn" ]
    then
    continue
    fi
    	echo $(md5sum "$fn") >> /tmp/sums.txt
    fi
    done
    sort /tmp/sums.txt > /tmp/srtdsums.txt
    linecount=0
    #for line in $(cat /tmp/srtdsums.txt)
    while read line
    do
    (( linecount++ ))
    if [ $linecount -eq 1 ]
    then
    	previousline=$line
    	previoussum=${line%% *}
    	continue
    fi
    currentline=$line
    currentsum=${line%% *}
    currentfile=${line##$currentsum  }
    if [ $currentsum == $previoussum ]
    then
    	rm -f $currentfile
    fi
    previousline=$currentline
    previoussum=$currentsum
    done < /tmp/srtdsums.txt
    IFS=$OLDIFS

Linux Newbie
    hi BowCatShot,

modifying the IFS is useless now you correctly parse the file using a `while' loop.
    also, remove commented code, please.

and no temporary files should be left on the system the script is running on at the end of this script.