Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is probably a coffee lounge topic, but I felt it would be better placed here....if an admin disagrees, feel free to move it. So I grew into programming thinking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

POSIX API Suckiness

This is probably a coffee lounge topic, but I felt it would be better placed here....if an admin disagrees, feel free to move it.

So I grew into programming thinking POSIX was epic and Win32 blew. Win32 does blow in some respects, but it's also very nice and concise in others. One of the ways it's nice is documentation, all the structs and functions are heavily documented on MSDN.

For POSIX, however, this is not the case. Yes, you can look up any API functions in the man pages, but let's be honest, 21st century, I rather not be lessing a terminal FFS. So I have to google every damn function, and then god-forbid I come across one that uses a weird struct or type, GOOD LUCK finding out what the hell it actually is.

Now one might argue "that's the purpose of a type, you don't need to know what it is" - wish that was true, but in reality, every once in awhile (ie. to print it) you need to know what the hell you're dealing with.

Structs are a larger problem, finding them can be a pain sometimes but you always have to constantly google them.

I find myself bolted to google whenever I'm dev'ing using the POSIX API and I feel this shouldn't be the case.

So that being said, I find myself at die.net and a few other places often, but is there anywhere that has like, the full API, documented, links to struct defs, etc. Like, somebody run doxygen on it FFS!

Anybody have any alternatives than constantly googling something? It becomes quite annoying.

I miss javadocs .

Linux Engineer
    Purchase a book?

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Purchase a book?
    I actually do have a book on the POSIX API, but A) It's not very portable, as it's about 4" thick, and B) It's orders of magnitude times easier to find stuff in electronic documentation if it's set up properly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can get the Posix standards documents from the IEEE Library web site (it isn't free) and download in PDF format. I got the C++ standards that way, and a copy of the Posix standards. The good thing about Posix is that it works pretty much the same on whatever system has implemented them. I have been using them for years for complex systems that have to run on everything from Linux, to QNX, to Unix, to Windoze, and a few other systems you probably never heard of! As for MS Windows, yes the MSDN documents their API's pretty well, but they change with just about every new version of Windows, and they won't work on ANY other system! You want cross-platform portability? POSIX is the way to go.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You can get the Posix standards documents from the IEEE Library web site (it isn't free) and download in PDF format. I got the C++ standards that way, and a copy of the Posix standards. The good thing about Posix is that it works pretty much the same on whatever system has implemented them. I have been using them for years for complex systems that have to run on everything from Linux, to QNX, to Unix, to Windoze, and a few other systems you probably never heard of! As for MS Windows, yes the MSDN documents their API's pretty well, but they change with just about every new version of Windows, and they won't work on ANY other system! You want cross-platform portability? POSIX is the way to go.
    I don't get why the heck standards like that aren't free...it's utterly retarded :-\.

Yeah, I like the versatility of POSIX, but the documentation is pretty crappy. You typically have to google the piss out of them and find like 4 examples before you completely understand how to use it if you haven't seen it before. linux die has some good sources like that. Just wish there was a nice centralized resource. Links to types and stuff? Oh man, that'd be epic. Javadoc or doxygen style pages for posix = heaven, lol.

That reminds me, I'm having a POSIX signal issue right now that I need your help on .

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    I don't get why the heck standards like that aren't free...it's utterly retarded :-\.

Yeah, I like the versatility of POSIX, but the documentation is pretty crappy. You typically have to google the piss out of them and find like 4 examples before you completely understand how to use it if you haven't seen it before. linux die has some good sources like that. Just wish there was a nice centralized resource. Links to types and stuff? Oh man, that'd be epic. Javadoc or doxygen style pages for posix = heaven, lol.

That reminds me, I'm having a POSIX signal issue right now that I need your help on .
    Ok. Start a new thread for that.

Ok. Start a new thread for that.
    Yeah, will do tonight if I can't un-screw what's gong on. It's a lot to try and pack into a post w/o violating NDA's (so similar code) and continuing to have the problem .

Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    Yeah, will do tonight if I can't un-screw what's gong on. It's a lot to try and pack into a post w/o violating NDA's (so similar code) and continuing to have the problem .
    Understood. You can also private-message me if you prefer. As an IEEE member who follows the IEEE code of ethics, what happens in private, stays private!

Understood. You can also private-message me if you prefer. As an IEEE member who follows the IEEE code of ethics, what happens in private, stays private!
    Ah, okay, I'll keep that in mind.

I may be able to reduce the question further because I just did some work on it since then and I understand what's failing a little better. I'll shoot you a PM.