Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am facing a specific challenge while debugging with GDB. My binary is generating core. When i am debugging it GDB. I am not getting relevant debugging information. GDB stack ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GDB debugging trace with no relevant info (#0 0x2e6e6f69 in ??)

I am facing a specific challenge while debugging with GDB. My binary is generating core. When i am debugging it GDB. I am not getting relevant debugging information.

GDB stack trace (bt):-

# gdb pull core.11328
    GNU gdb (GDB) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (7.0.1-23.el5)
    Reading symbols from /home/abc/xyz/bin/pull...done.
    [New Thread 11379]
    [New Thread 11378]
    [New Thread 11377]
    [New Thread 11376]
    Reading symbols from /lib/libpthread.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    Loaded symbols for /lib/libpthread.so.0
    Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.6
    Reading symbols from /opt/septel/lib32/libgctlib.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    Loaded symbols for /opt/septel/lib32/libgctlib.so.1
    Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
    Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
    Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
    Core was generated by `./pull -c /home/abc/xyz/conf/Common.cfg -g /home/abc/xyz/'.
    Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
    #0 0x2e6e6f69 in ?? ()
    (gdb) bt
    #0 0x2e6e6f69 in ?? ()
    #1 0x40310738 in ?? ()
    #2 0x20459102 in menu_table ()
    #3 0x31073900 in ?? ()
    #4 0x35910240 in ?? ()
    #5 0x01530084 in ?? ()
    #6 0x00000052 in ?? ()
    #7 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    (gdb) q

bt and bt full is not showing any useful info. I have complied my binary -g flag. The same binary had generated normal core (core with proper debugging info) that had i have fixed.

I have also cross checked, space was sufficient. My development and production environments are same. I am not able to find the solution. The code access the same function many a times but some how it generated segmentation fault after 3-4 day and core has not relevant info except menu_table function.

In this particular case i am not able to identify any issue. Please suggest how i can debug and resolve the issue.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What compiler options did you use? At the least, you need -g to get debugging symbols in the binaries, and then you need to be sure that you are not stripping the binaries after building them. Finally, unless you download debuggable versions of things like system libraries, you won't be able to debug them either, except in machine code.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!