Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am working on a project and I need to be able to create and manage windows. I am looking for some reference material to help me understand this better. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help printing to screen

I am working on a project and I need to be able to create and manage windows. I am looking for some reference material to help me understand this better.

There is a lot involved, but I think the first thing I would like to be able to do is create an empty window (no menu bar, border, background, etc.), look up specifications for or define the border, background etc. and print these features to the screen.

The second thing I would like to do is look up specifications for a font, find where the bitmap is stored, print the character to the window, then repeat for the next character placing it at the proper spacing from the previous one.

My first attempt was to use xcb/xlib, but I think I want to take a step back from that and write a window manager for X. However, I have not had much success finding documentation to help me write code that interfaces with X.

I could really use some pointers to references, documentation, tutorials...

Linux Engineer
    Here is a good beginner GUI tutorial for Gnome 3.

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/2.90/

Just Joined!
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

I think the general conscensus is to use a GUI toolkit. I guess I should rephrase the plea to something like:
    I am trying to better understand how X window managers work. I briefly tried to go through the source code of the one on my laptop, but was quickly overwhelmed. I may be stuck taking another stab at it, but I was hoping someone could point me to some documentation or tutorials that might make it a little easier then just rummaging through the linux manual and source code.

Linux Engineer
    Here's an X programming tutorial:

Basic Graphics Programming With The XCB Library

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Reading program source and documentation is the classical path to learn to code. I consider it similar to an attorney Reading law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps this article may help. The dwm manager seems especially useful to look over -- 2000 lines of source -- 20 Most Nimble and Simple X Window Managers for Linux | TechSource

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )