Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all... I have been working on the development of the Dreamplug (Plug computer) with the Debian flavor of Linux. I have a problem that I have just noticed that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

congiruration of 'terminal's default

Hello all...

I have been working on the development of the Dreamplug (Plug computer) with the Debian flavor of Linux. I have a problem that I have just noticed that when I enter text into the window it gives me a the following output from dmesg

Code:
    [80191.649207] ttyS0: 1 input overrun(s)
    [80263.309211] ttyS0: 2 input overrun(s)
    [80427.159218] ttyS0: 2 input overrun(s)
    [85138.179187] SysRq : HELP : loglevel(0-9) reBoot Crash terminate-all-tasks(E) memory-full-oom-kill(F) kill-all-tasks(I) thaw-filesystems(J) saK show-memory-usage(M) nice-all-RT-tasks(N) powerOff show-registers(P) show-all-timers(Q) unRaw Sync show-task-states(T) Unmount show-blocked-tasks(W) dump-ftrace-buffer(Z)
    How much is just from the input overrun, I don't know and I cut this out of the message block that dmesg produced. I mean I don't know if the SysRq is part of the overrun or not, it may be another problem.

I don't know how to search the man pages (if there is such an animal) or I would do so. I would hope someone has a facility to do this, but I haven't found it.

If you know how to stop this problem, drop me a line or if there is a configuration file for this, that might be helpful.

Thanks...

Jack

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You did something with the stty command that has fubar'd your tty.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

That may seem like the the resolution, but I have not done anything (that I know of) via a tty command. It's mostly evident when I try to past a command in. I pretty much try not to do config if I can help it. What are the commands that I may have likly hosed up this with?

Thanks
    Jack

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried rebooting? (Yes, silly question, but it has to be asked).

Yea, tried that... Don't mind you asking though, as I know sometimes we don't think of the simple solutions. I seem to me that the terminal process has set limits, as if I get a long prompt (by being down a directory tree) I can't enter much before I get an 'overrun' error. I have a problem on my main machine ever since I swapped monitors in that the 'full' screen is actually larger than the monitor! I have found this very annoying, but don't know where these limits are set or are changeable, but I figure they must be changeable.

The item in the main computer is relatively a new machine (built it in December of 12) and a new monitor, which the OS has correctly identified with the proper resolution. When you go to full screen, you can't get to the sides of the screen (at least the right side) as it's off the screen. The DP (Dreamplug) has problems also related to input and screen size, but not as drastic as my main computer. I did not have this with a monitor of lesser capabilities...

I just figured that there is some place that lets you enter max sizes that you want to maintain. How does it know not to make the screen twice as big as it does now? This must be coded somewhere??? I think these are the configuration files I'm trying to find. It seems that the really technical problems, a lot of people know how to fix, but the simple basic configuration seems to elude many. There must be some kind of config file for the terminal or screen operations. They may be different for a terminal or a 'screen', bu there must be one somewhere.

Thanks

Jack

Personally, I've never seen an "input overrun" issue before, so I am pretty much clueless what could cause it (scroll-back buffer size perhaps?), other than swagging it.

I only see it on my Dreamplug running Debian, not on my main computers. It happens when I enter a long command or paste a command. It doesn't seem to matter what I have my screen (or terminal width) set. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for something that configures the format of the output. It must be defined somewhere.

I also notice it when I run zile (emacs copy that runs from a floppy on a small system) it takes the window I'm in and only uses about half of it. What's worse is that when it terminates the window scrolls where the end of zile was, like the middle of the page. If I take the cursor and drag the bottom of the window up, to almost a single line, then back down, it seems to reset that problem.

It would be nice to fix all of these and I suspect they are related to some configuration file...

Thanks

Jack

I don't know what caused this, but the operation itself is suspect. I'm on a terminal (VT100, into a Dreamplug computer) and if I copy more than a few characters to it, I get the error. So with that I'm assuming that the problem is likely that I am pushing too many characters to the program that it can't buffer. One other item is that I have a pretty long prompt. It's set to show my working directory and I found when I shorten it to only a dollar sign, I can get more characters in before it gags.

So I'm closing this thread.

I wish to thank all of those that made a comment. I've found this board to be one of the best sites for help with Linux. Thanks to all.

Jack