Find the answer to your Linux question:
Silly thing: I'm working on a game that uses ncurses as the 'graphic' end. I know, I know, that went out with Angband. But, still, it's kinda cute and funny. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

ncurses: 2 char symbols eg '$$' that look like things.

Silly thing:

I'm working on a game that uses ncurses as the 'graphic' end. I know, I know, that went out with Angband. But, still, it's kinda cute and funny. And it works on the vanilla console as well as xterm/rxvt/etc. Who does that anymore, huh?

Because the font is 8x16 or whatever, they tend to be twice the pixels tall as they are wide, I doubled them up to make squares so the grid comes out roughly square and diagonal lines are actually diagonal. It's grid based, chase and evade type of thing.

I've been playing with double characters to see what looks like stuff. '~~' bold cyan on blue bg looks like water. '##' looks like walls or something, especially black on red bg. '$$' looks to me like treasure, bright yellow. 'ту' looks like bad guy. Background is green like grass at this point. They can move, or sequence too.

Any suggestions? It's playful and goofy, so absurd is good too. I have 8 colors to works with, foreground and background: black, red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow and white. Foreground can also be normal or bold.

Between us we can unleash the full fury of ncurses!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    n)curses! Foiled again!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Enthusiast
    Rubberman scores! PostCount++

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry, but I couldn't help myself! FWIW, back in "the day" when graphics displays were primitive (and expensive) I did a lot of curses and then ncurses programming. I even wrote a complete CDE (Common Desktop Environment) in it, with drop-down menus, pick lists, desktop icons, the works. Somewhere I may have a zip disc or floppy set with the code... I suppose you could call it gnome ultra-light!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Enthusiast
    I like ncurses. It's so easy to prototype basic projects, just get them up and running without the interface getting in your way. By the time I get the core all working, I can see whether or not it's even worth the extra effort to do a gtk/whatever port. Usually I never get around to it.

I also very much like stuff that will run on the console without X. Sometimes I like to be 'retro'.