Find the answer to your Linux question:
OMG. I cannot believe I have not used this library before. It rocks and is so easy to use. After a couple brief tutorials ( Lazy Foo' Productions ) I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

SDL rocks!

OMG. I cannot believe I have not used this library before. It rocks and is so easy to use. After a couple brief tutorials (Lazy Foo' Productions) I had pretty pictures bouncing around the screen.

The silliest thing is that I've had it on my system since original install in 2005. Graphic toolkits are always so bizarre and difficult to use. Not this one. I swear it's easier to program than ncurses. Makes its own windows, takes care of so much stuff with so few lines of code, I cannot understand how it slipped under my radar all these years.

I thought all graphic tks were like programming XLib or something. Always tons of stuff to setup before you can make the actual call to do the thing you want it to do.

In my defense, I've never been much of a gamer. There's a few games that I like, but I have to be *really* bored to even go there. I never looked into it much. Recently, I guess I've been bored, and started looking into games. I got dosbox (DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS) working (awesome) and that made me think about doing some stuff I've been thinking about for a long time, namely pathfinding algorithms.

Anyway, much belated praise for the clever people who developed it. I've been converted.

Amen.

Peace and Cheer.

Just Joined!
    I have also heard that its great. I downloaded it once. Tried to learn C++ also. But I never got to it. I am a Visual Basic programer. Now I am leaning towards Lazarus (+Free Pascal) due to the cross platform nature of it. So eventually I forgot about SDL.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Linux Enthusiast
    I just discovered SDL works on XWindows *AND* Linux console without X. No re-compiling, nothing, it just works. That makes it twice as cool.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close