Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello; I'm scoping out the work needed for a new project, and I am looking for ideas. The development OS is linux, building to another Unix/like system called RTEMS ( ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for a run-time module loading framework of unix/ish system

Hello;

I'm scoping out the work needed for a new project, and I am looking for ideas. The development OS is linux, building to another Unix/like system called RTEMS (RTEMS Real Time Operating System (RTOS) | Real-Time and Real Free RTOS). Now since the filessystems may be different and the CPU's will be from time to time depending on the target it means both systems need a way to upload new work without a lot of down time.

It occurs that I would like to have a "module" system that I can transfer running code modules onto the running machine and have them start working without recompiling or rebooting. Ideally that could be internet but that's not a hard fix. Does anyone know of someone's open source framework that could be a helpful start?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You might want to study the QNX Neutrino operating system (QNX operating systems, development tools, and professional services for connected embedded systems). They solve some of these problems by implementing a micro-kernel message passing architecture so that new drivers and kernel modules can be unloaded/loaded while the system is running. I have worked with it for many years (but not a lot for awhile) and still use it for real-time R&D in a virtual machine on my main Linux workstation.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    ok thank you!

Cheers!

Dave

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A disclaimer, I have something like serial number 007 (Bond, be jealous!) for QNX... Still have the original floppy discs.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Ok good to know. An RTEMS developer told me about

RTEMS Runtime Link Editor (RTL) RTEMS Runtime Link Editor (RTL)
    that can load ELF files into code or remake that complete object file.

I'll try this first as I want to use the multithread system.