Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everyone. i'm new to linux. i'm going to develop a critical software that gets data through lan and show it graphically. after searching i decided to use linux kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

develop critical software for linux target

hi everyone.

i'm new to linux. i'm going to develop a critical software that gets data through lan and show it graphically. after searching i decided to use linux kernel + rtai to be my Real-Time linux. my language is only c++.

now to develop software i have 2 options:

1- as a windows and vs2010 programmer, i leave windows and move to a linux distribution and develop software using a good ide that i don't know well...

2- i stay in windows and use to cross-compile for linux target using some cross-compile tools...

the first option is better for me because i have many other windows-based tools that i don't want to loose them but if i have to, i'll handle it.

now my question is which one i choose? what about the performance and reliability? which one has more performance and reliability as it required for critical software? is it important to be linux- host developped or windows cross-compile?

and the way you gus propose me please tell me how and with which development tools and ide i could do that.

thank u.

Linux Guru
    There are IDEs for C++ available for Linux however, UNIX type operating systems have been developed for and by programmers. IDEs are of less value and most programmers don't seem to use them. In a sense the OS is the IDE. Here is a comparison showing features of different IDE - some of the better ones are cross platform and could work if you choose the 2nd route.

It is possible to cross compile for Linux from a MS platform that is supported by the Cygwin platform. You'd need the Cygwin platform installed and the gcc cross compilers for Cygwin. You'd need to do some research for the display libraries that would work. I can't say that I see the value of doing this.

I don't think you'll find VS much use cross compiling for Linux.