Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Sorry, one more question... is it possible to style each element individually? Can I not USE css altogether then? That's really how a human being thinks, which is why I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

One more question

Sorry, one more question... is it possible to style each element individually? Can I not USE css altogether then?

That's really how a human being thinks, which is why I HATE css.

And also, it makes life much easier when doing dynamic pages like in PHP or whatever.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    As someone who been developing websites since before CSS was around, when we used to use tables for layout*, I can assure that CSS will make your life easier in every regard. That said, you can by using the style attribute but it is still CSS.

Code:
    <p style="font-size: 12px;">Blah</p>
    However, it is far, far better to use a separate CSS file. It does have a bit of a learning curve but makes it easy to change the look of a site, to allow it to work for the visually impaired or to add a mobile version for example. You should also keep your JavaScript separate. The aim is to keep your content, style and scripting away from each other making it easy to look after.

* When I were a lad and so on
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    I still dont' see how CSS will make life easier. Tell me something, in big web dev companies, do they have separate people just for HTML and CSS?

Btw, what tool do you use on Linux for websites? Or do you use Dreamweaver? In Win? Or in Lin with WINE or something?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    I still dont' see how CSS will make life easier. Tell me something, in big web dev companies, do they have separate people just for HTML and CSS?
    No. A front end developer will be expected to be proficient in HTML, CSS and JavaScript at the very least. A back end developer will need a different skill set such as PHP, MySQL and Linux at the very least. There will often be an overlap between the skill sets. So as a back end developer, I can do HTML, CSS and JavaScript but I am much more skilled at server side work.

Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    IBtw, what tool do you use on Linux for websites? Or do you use Dreamweaver? In Win? Or in Lin with WINE or something?
    At work, Netbeans and at home, Netbeans or Komodo Edit. If Netbeans had better Python support then it would be that one all the way.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    How do those 2 compare to Dreamweaver? Do they make life easy? i.e. can you easily see what's happening in GUI mode?

Are they hefty downloads?

They're not wysiwyg if that's what you are asking but they are both excellent code IDE's. I can't compare them to Dreamweaver as I don't know what it's like. They are hefty downloads; Netbeans in particular and it needs a JDK also. For a lighter alternative consider Geany.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    Thanks, man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2