Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am a Linux/Unix System Administrator as a profession from last 8 years and now want to jump into Linux programming to contribute something to this in which i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to contribute Linux in Development

Hello,

I am a Linux/Unix System Administrator as a profession from last 8 years and now want to jump into Linux programming to contribute something to this in which i spent these many years for its integration/Administration/Configuration/Servers Setups.

Please let me know i can start working in this as i am new to programming.

Linux Engineer
    There are some good books out there on Linux system programming as well as the oracle - Advanced Programing In the Unix Environment. "The Linux Programming Interface" and "Linux System Programming" are both good.

Since you are new to programming a thorough read of "The C Programming Language" would be a good idea.

Just Joined!
    the question is what you want to program. try to find a good answer for this question first imho.

A good way to get started is to volenteer to do QA testing for a project. In beginning you can do "Black Box" testing just beating on the software, while you getting your development skillz built. Then as you get programming skills together move to more "White Box" testing where you get it to confirming bug reports and hunting down area of code in question, this process starts getting you working with develpers. From there can start coding fixes and eventually move to new coding tasks. Doing QA really teaches you the all parts that makeup a piece of software and how all the pieces work with each other.

So pick a project for something you use or interested in and volenteer. Do that your education can be guided by people working on software.