Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, When we are using RAM DISK - the files are stored on the RAM. from what I understand (and saw many examples) in order to read data from file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to get pointer (example: char*) to Ram Disk Files ?

Hi,

When we are using RAM DISK - the files are stored on the RAM.
    from what I understand (and saw many examples) in order to read data from file (the file which locate on the RAM) - I need to use the read function.

Is there a chance to get char* (or any pointer) to the content of the file without using the read function ?

If the file locate on the RAM, it seem that it is like I have a buffer on the RAM (like an array which was dynamic allocated) and in the case of a buffer on the ram -> we can use pointers to the data without reading all the data.

example:

class CDATA
    {
    int nValue1;
    int nValue2;
    double dValue3;
    double dValue4;
    char achBuf[10];
    };

void main ()
    {
    // for the example: suppose we have file which contains CDATA structures.

fstream m_ramdiskFile;
    m_pBuffer = new char[1000000];
    m_ramdiskFile.open("./.ramdisk", ios::binary | ios::in | ios::out | ios::trunc);

// in stead of reading the whole record
    CDATA cDATA;
    m_ramdiskFile.read((char*)cDATA, sizeof(CDATA));

// can I get a pointer to the content of the file -> which already locate on the RAM (bacause
    // it is file on the RAM DISK)
    // can I do something like that:
    CDATA* pData = m_ramdiskFile.beg(); ???
    cout << pData->dValue4;

}

Linux Engineer
    When you open a file for reading the file position indicator is set to the beginning of the file. You can then use mmap and map the file to a char*. You pass the open fd and the length of the map to the function mmap. You then use a char* as though the file was loaded into memory. You can see man mmap for details.

Note - error checking omitted:
    Code:
    int fd = open (myfile, O_RDWR);
    struct stat st;
    fstat (fd, &st);
    char* thePtr = mmap (NULL, st.st_size, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE, fd, 0);

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    when using mmap function and loading the file into the memory -> you mean that in the background there is a read operation of all the data from the file ?
    (for example, if the file size is 10MB and using mmap -> we are reading 10MB to the memory ?)

Linux Engineer
    A view of the file or any portion of the file is created in virtual memory. Have a look at this for a pretty thorough explanation: File Mapping - ????, ????! - ???? - CSDN.NET

For small files you're better loading the file into memory but for large files memory mapping can be very effective.

Just Joined!
    Code not working

Linux Engineer
    Which code would that be?

Linux User
    mmap can be *very* dangerous. Any changes made are reflected *immediately* on disk without any save operation needed. Perhaps is not relevent with ramdisk, but still...