Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Radio Station Ctrl Prog

I have searched the internet and not found any software for a linux powered fm radio station so I plan to write an application. At this point, I am looking for general suggestions on cmd line programs that I may want to investigate.

If someone else is interested, I certainly would be open minded about a collaborative project.

1) to start, I would like to know how I can send a cmd and have a mp3 song played... but I need a way to know either how long the process is going to run or when the process has terminated so the next song/event is cued.

This is not just a simple song cue, I will need to write a script/program that uses intelligence in the programming cycle. For example, when a song ends after the top of the hour, I will cue the time and radio station identifier announcement.

I need to do this in scripting so that I can select genre according to time of day/ day of week and insert text to speech for giving announcements and time of day.

I have purchased a low power legal FM transmitter that can receive audio from a linux speaker jack. I also have solved converting text to speech into a mp3 file.

I expect to first write a proof of concept in BASH, then convert to PHP, Python, C, or Ruby - what ever makes the most sense when low level calls are considered.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by jwzumwalt; 1 Week Ago at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwzumwalt View Post
    I have searched the internet and not found any software for a linux powered fm radio station so I plan to write an application. At this point, I am looking for general suggestions on cmd line programs that I may want to investigate.

If someone else is interested, I certainly would be open minded about a collaborative project.

1) to start, I would like to know how I can send a cmd and have a mp3 song played... but I need a way to know either how long the process is going to run or when the process has terminated so the next song/event is cued.

This is not just a simple song cue, I will need to write a script/program that uses intelligence in the programming cycle. For example, when a song ends after the top of the hour, I will cue the time and radio station identifier announcement.

I need to do this in scripting so that I can select genre according to time of day/ day of week and insert text to speech for giving announcements and time of day.

I have purchased a low power legal FM transmitter that can receive audio from a linux speaker jack. I also have solved converting text to speech into a mp3 file.

I expect to first write a proof of concept in BASH, then convert to PHP, Python, C, or Ruby - what ever makes the most sense when low level calls are considered.

Thanks for the help
    so youve told us what you want to do, but have shown zero effort in actually doing it. we arent going to write your scripts for you.

there are thousands of bash tutorials you can find with a google search that tell you how to get the time and date and lots of other links for things like 'linux command line mp3 player', etc. start there. get stuck? post what you wrote and tell us what its doing. otherwise, pay someone if youd like things written for you.

At this point, I am looking for general suggestions on cmd line programs that I may want to investigate... I need a way to know either how long the process is going to run or when the process has terminated so the next song/event is cued..
    Before you get nasty, you might want to read more careful; just a suggestion. Since you have no interest in this thread or subject please go away!

I am requesting someone with experience with Amarok, XMMS or some other cmd line app for possible recommendations.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    UPDATE...

Another forum user suggested I take a look at MPD at musicpd.org
    This is what I need to get started

I have not looked at all options but MPC => MPD will at least get me started. I can't wait to start programming!

What I am eventually hoping for is something that will allow me to periodically execute an external script so that I can insert the time of day approximately every 1/2 hour. I have already solved the text to mp3 solution for this.

I can imagine a work around. MPC will allow me to update playlists via cmd line on the fly and I could use a data base to inject a time of day mp3 at the appropriate time - but I would like to eventual come up with a better solution. Another user reminded me that I might be able to do what I need using a cron job set to 30min.

I looked at a few of the GUI solutions (Amerek, etc) and none offered what I needed.
    Last edited by jwzumwalt; 5 Days Ago at 05:37 AM.

There is no shortage of command line players. All open source. Start here.

Thank you for your reply.

The link you provided are mostly console text terminal programs i.e. ncurses (vs a GUI). I am grateful for your links, I will be investigating further some of the links you provided. For example I had not heard of SoX and it may be helpful.

What I am looking for is not a console program but a program that will receive and process bash script commands.
    MPC will accept bash commands and cause MPD to play the results. I guess a better way to put it is I am looking for a script/bash audio "command" processor - not a console or GUI program. However, some of the "programs" also accept scripts, so it gets a little murky as to what features may be available. (this is why I am asking for suggestions)
    Last edited by jwzumwalt; 5 Days Ago at 05:40 AM.

Before you get nasty, you might want to read more careful; just a suggestion. Since you have no interest in this thread or subject please go away!
    interest in helping sure. interest in looking everything up for you and writing your scripts? no. and tell me what i missed in your original post. all you did was tell us what you wanted, and nothing more. you showed us nothing that you researched, asked any questions about any of the utilities, showed your script, etc. you were looking for a handout.
    I am requesting someone with experience with Amarok, XMMS or some other cmd line app for possible recommendations.
    neither amarok or xmms are command line. the fact you list them shows how little effort youve put in.
    Thank you for your reply.
    funny, segfault directs you to an internet search and you say thanks. i tell you to go look and you get snotty.
    The link you provided are mostly console text terminal programs i.e. ncurses (vs a GUI). I am grateful for your links, I will be investigating further some of the links you provided. For example I had not heard of SoX and it may be helpful.
    the 'console text terminal programs' are COMMAND LINE programs, which you need for scripting which is what you asked for. which is what i told you to look up and what segfault handed you, because you seemingly couldnt go do that search on your own even after being told what to look for.
    What I am looking for is not a console program but a program that will receive and process bash script commands.
    MPC will accept bash commands and cause MPD to play the results. I guess a better way to put it is I am looking for a script/bash audio "command" processor - not a console or GUI program. However, some of the "programs" also accept scripts, so it gets a little murky as to what features may be available. (this is why I am asking for suggestions)
    the only murky thing here is your understanding of what youve been told so far.

you are looking for a script that tells the time, and update playlists via 'cmd line'. to make it very simple you need a command line mp3 player...which is what you were spoon fed twice so far. get time and date? type 'date' at the command line. anything you can type on command line is what a SCRIPT IS...a list of those commands. bash scripting to open a file of songs and pick one to play is trivial. command line players to play it? abundant. date/time processing? easily done. and your still not showing anything youve posted, despite being 'excited' to start programming.

bash scripting tutorials are abundant. go find one.

To sum it up, all "console programs" are your tools you can use in scripts. Here is a fun example .

Habit; You've been reported to the sysop as argumentative and sarcastic -go away!
    I requested the sysop review your comment history and determine if you should be be removed.

"User "Habit" id= 2299610 continues to to cause problems, be overly sarcastic, mean spirited, and negative. Please look at the comment history.

I believe there is enough evidence to support the removal from this forum."

Habit; You've been reported to the sysop as argumentative and sarcastic -go away!
    I requested the sysop review your comment history and determine if you should be be removed

"User "Habit" id= 2299610 continues to to cause problems, be overly sarcastic, mean spirited, and negative. Please look at the comment history.

I believe there is enough evidence to support the removal from this forum."
    how about we report jwzumwalt too as being too lazy to do anything for themselves?

grow up snowflake. if you dont like the mean, scary people in the world when you come looking for a handout then dont post on public forums. you flat out asked for things you could have found yourself with a tiny bit of effort. you were given search terms and still havent produced anything on your own. and your still whining about the 'mean and negative' answers.

want better answers? ask better questions and show some effort. if reporting someone makes you feel better about being lazy then go for it. and its funny because putting your user id into Google along with "linux" brings up things from 9 yrs ago. so either your galactically lazy or an incredibly slow learner, if it takes you 9 years to be able to figure out a simple shell script. but i think the real answer is that you want someone to hand you a script, which is why you dont post on any of the other forums where youve been told the same things in the past.