Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Shell Scripting

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Shell Scripting

Hi,
    I would like to make a script and run it directly passing it the variable (file) that it needs. Example: count the lines of the file - instead of waiting for the variable entered from the keyboard - READ $ VAR - I would like to pass it to the script directly from the shell.

It's possible?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paiale View Post
    Hi,
    I would like to make a script and run it directly passing it the variable (file) that it needs. Example: count the lines of the file - instead of waiting for the variable entered from the keyboard - READ $ VAR - I would like to pass it to the script directly from the shell.

It's possible?
    thanks
    yea, real possible. why dont you go ahead and do it, since you can find thousands of bash tutorials with a google search. come back if you get stuck, because we're not going to write it for you.

Linux Guru
    Hi,

It's possible?
    thanks
    yes, this is perfectly possible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    yea, real possible. why dont you go ahead and do it, since you can find thousands of bash tutorials with a google search. come back if you get stuck, because we're not going to write it for you.

thanks ... a small example was enough. I can read the manuals, if I wrote here it was simply for a tip on where and how to find information. .... I realize that the forums are now only for an expert level. Thank you all

thanks ... a small example was enough. I can read the manuals, if I wrote here it was simply for a tip on where and how to find information. .... I realize that the forums are now only for an expert level. Thank you all
    'expert level" no. but c'mon...putting 'bash scripting tutorial" into google pulls up a gazillion hits with examples. if you found this site with a google search you can find that and if you cant figure that out you sure wont be able to write a script.

Not every forum. Just this one. Since July 14 2016.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    "My common sense is tingling."

Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    Not every forum. Just this one. Since July 14 2016.
    so wheres your expert guidance then? oh thats right...you dont know how to script use the cli or do anything without a gui and your $4 walmart phone. want to help him then step up. otherwise shut up.

Dude are you nuts? I don't buy phones at Walmart. I'm surprised you even know such a mainstream company. Is it like a bad word for the likes of you? I wonder which obscure shops you go to buy your obscure phones. Do you even have a phone? Or are you scared Google will listen to you? Please tell me you are.

Ok I'll help: Yes you can.

Done. See how I did it? Without insults and sarcasm? Now you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    Dude are you nuts? I don't buy phones at Walmart. I'm surprised you even know such a mainstream company. Is it like a bad word for the likes of you? I wonder which obscure shops you go to buy your obscure phones. Do you even have a phone? Or are you scared Google will listen to you? Please tell me you are.
    a moto g? huh..one of the first hits in google for it is from walmart.
    Ok I'll help: Yes you can. Done. See how I did it? Without insults and sarcasm? Now you try it.
    you 'helped" by saying yes? wow..how about any scripting, since thats what the op asked for (and didn't look up). thats right...you dont script. or do much of anything, really.

run along dipshit.

a moto g? huh..one of the first hits in google for it is from walmart.
    Does that mean I buy them there?? Hey they sell bananas in South Africa. Does that mean I buy them there as well?
    you 'helped" by saying yes? wow..how about any scripting, since thats what the op asked for (and didn't look up). thats right...you dont script. or do much of anything, really.
    False. Read again.
    run along dipshit.
    #Crying