Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I don't think HTML is a formal language... but it could help learning to know how to work in the programming way: "strict" syntax and so on... As an editor, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I don't think HTML is a formal language... but it could help learning to know how to work in the programming way: "strict" syntax and so on...

As an editor, you have a very good and configurable one: Scite.
    The URL here: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
    There are many features that help a lot. It's worth to give it a cance

Just Joined!
    I started with PERL and have never looked back! It's a great starting language that will build your confidence because of its ease. Anyway...I've always been using PERL on my Linux system and I now want to run it on my WINXP system. Whenever I try to download the compiler and such (in a .gz file), my computer never seems to be able to read it.

I have checked out all the help sections all over the net and I still haven't found my answer. If anyone could point me in the right direction, many thanks would be directed your way!

Thanx in advance!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by McStooge
    I now want to run it on my WINXP system. Whenever I try to download the compiler and such (in a .gz file), my computer never seems to be able to read it.
    get a .zip file if possible, and also get winzip from winzip.com. If that doesnt work, start a seperate thread in the windows section.

Cheers,

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'll put my two pents in here. Even though many consider html not a programming language, it is the basis/foundation of most, if not all webstites today. Its also the most widely known on the planet. i.e.asking others for help...

It does introduce you to concept of commands called tags, different ways of doing the same thing (you'll discover this issue in all languages- theres always more than one way to do the same thing) and how different languages can be incorporated into one app. i.e. html and javascript.

So in a nutshell syntax concept, order of execution of commands, incluesion of other apps or languages within your site or web app's, proper code techniques like not crating what is called spagetti code and the use of comments as notes to yorself in case you want to change someting in the future, you'll remember how you did it or insert the code etc...

So start and master html, then look outside of that.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

++ anyone?

Well... the first language I learnt was C++. Now I am not saying it is the best language to start off with... but then again is there a best language? Many people would argue that BASIC, or in present times, it's descendant Visual Basic, is the ideal language for an introductory course in computer programming. Maybe its because of its english like syntax, its loosly typed nature or the RAD environment used [ VisualBasic ] under which programming can be made fairly trivial if not too easy. But then I always like to think... ok... you now know Visual Basic... based on what you've learnt... how easy is it to for you to start using another language? For arguement sakes say you then want to learn Java. Will the learning curve be great because it looks and works nothing like Visual Basic. Or the concepts of ... say Object Oriented Programming are new or implemented differently. How different will it be from learning Python instead?

So basically what I'm trying to say is... before plunging into whatever language you want to learn, it would be wise to read a little about each and find out exactly what each one deals with... how portable is it?... are there any tools to aid you in learning [eg. free compilers , debuggers , books etc. ] or how much will it cost to come up with an environment that works with the language you choose if it is a commercial package. And then... does all this help you in what you plan to do... or are you just in search of knowledge with no immediate task at hand. It would also be nice if the language that you choose to learn teach you concepts that apply to other languages and hence make learning another language easier than the previous.

But then again it is good to dream.

I guess in the end... only you can decide. There are a whole bunch of langauges at preset time to choose from that it can be very difficult to choose one before attempting to learn another. Personally, I'm currently test driving Ruby... A full OO scripting language... simliar to Python but with lots of syntatic sugar. And I'm loving it so far.

So... after getting carried away... I say... may the force be with you and happy reading!!!

Just Joined!
    well ill put my two cents in not that im any expert(still trying to learn ruby its my first language so ill recommend ruby

Just Joined!
    I started with basic on a VIC 20 years ago. I learned C and naturally moved to perl which does rule but can turn into a real handful if you are not careful. I have had the pleasure of maintaining perl code written by others and I hate them.

Today I use anything and everything... I really enjoy OO myself. Python, Java, Ruby... whatever.

I would start with python or java myself.

Richard

IMO to all the people who say learn HTML this is wrong it has nothing what so ever to do with programming and will not teach you anything to do with programing. It is used to control how webpages are displayed and has no kind of control strutures, variables, functions, arrays, hashes, pointers and more its just a markup language its like saying XML is a programming language.

And back to the topic you have not said what you want to do this is the most important thing to ask yourself when choosing a language. If its web work then I would suggest PHP if its standalone apps then I would suggest C, I started learning PHP but thats cause I had a website so it was perfect for what I needed.

Linux Newbie
    Okay...beat this....

ten years ago, there was a DOS-application called Framework IV...
    integrated database/text-edit/diagram maker....

sort of like Microsoft Office, only more ancient...

my first programming language was the scripting languge for that program,
    also known as FRED....=)

anyone else ever heard of it?
    (from there I went Qbasic, then C, and then just a lot of C++/Java/HTML and assorted goodies...)

/ooop

Linux Newbie
    My first language was QBaasic, but I was very young. If you are pretty good with a computer, then I would suggest skipping that, because Qbasic serves almost no practical purposes anymore. I must say, though, that QBasic did help me a lot over the years as I progressed into learning other languages. If you feel that you can skip QBasic, then I would suggest going with C.

Now, I haven't really worked with C much on the Linux environment, but it's a great language all around. It will teach you almost all programming concepts you will need with any high-level concepts, and on top of that, it is very flexible, and very effective. C is used almost everywhere.

I suggest C over C++ or Java, because I don't suggest you jump straight into OOP (Object-oriented programming). Once you have a firm grasp on C, you will have a wide variety of programming languages to chose from, such as C++, Python, Perl, Java, and many, many other, all of which you would be able to understand with relative ease after learning C.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3