Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am a complete newbie that wants to learn to program. So the question is what is a good programming language to learn first? Also, what was the first programming ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First Programming Language

I am a complete newbie that wants to learn to program. So the question is what is a good programming language to learn first? Also, what was the first programming language that you learned?

Thx.

Linux Guru
    if you want to learn to program in a linux environment, i would recommend learning C first off. If you want to do web design work, then HTML and PHP would be a good startind point.

C is a good language to learn first, as it teaches you a lot about programming concepts, how to write well structured programs etc. A lot of other languages are based on C style syntax.

I learned HTML, then Coldfusion in a windows environment, before moving to C in a linux environment. I am now learning PHP and C++.

Jason

Just Joined!
    A lot of people probably wouldn't agree with me on this, but java is an excelent language to start with. Although it is hard to think of uses for very simple programs, it is a very well documented language. It uses a very silamer syntax to c++, therfore it is easy to move on to c++ once you have mastered java.

For me, one of the biggest factors of learning a language was how usefull it would be, and when. I started with PHP first really, although I had dabbled in javascript before, I just couldn't think fo enough uses for it to make it interesting. PHP on the other hand I thoguht it was great. because ti actualy did things. Within one day pf workign with php I had a simpel guestbook running on my website. Before then I had been wading through far to many free guestbook scripts to count, and there was a problem with all of them. I still have the base of the script I wrote for that guestbook, and I use it to build on for lots of things that use flat files for information storage.

The good thing is, I learnt programming technuqies and theory using php. Because I could actualy use it for something usefull as soon as i had learnt only tiny bits of php, I was only encouraged to learn more.

How many people who started off with c/c++ or something simaler, have still got their original programs, and use the code in them regularly? Or regularly use that program you made to work out how much interest you will generate over the next few years on your bank balance? The problem with starting with c/c++ is that its hard to stick to, because you have to be learning for a long time to get anything out of it.

Overall I would vote either perl or php. If you want to do both web and app based programing, perl is a good one, because it can be used for both. It's quite easy to learn too. A good thing is, perl and PHP are VERY siamler, so once you have learnt one, you have learnt quite large chunks of the other, with only minor differences.

good luck.... but remember to have fun, there is just no point to it otherwise.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i think my first was really HTML and some QBasic i never really did anything with QBasic but i knew some if it. but then when i got to college i was thrown into Java, Cobol, and Visual Basic and i love them all except java but i jst couldnt get the hang of it i dont know y but then i also start learnin RPG, but RPG and COBOL you cant do much with so they are kind of pointless to start with. i would personally recommend C++, Perl, or even BASIC is a pretty good first language.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I still see jobs out there for RPG database people. It just not cutting edge.

I think java is fine for web based apps but not stand alone. Its about as friendly as straight c.

I'd suggest starting with a markup or scripting language like html the foundation of all web pages and a then basic (not VB).
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

i agree but its still hard to get a job as an RPG programmer when everyone wants ppl with a BS instead of a AA
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux User
    My 1st language was BASIC at the age of 10 or 11. Self taught on a Commodore64! Then I believe it was Logo. Remember that? Moving a turtle around the screen that left a spider's web line behind it. From there I progressed to Miranda - a non-practical language used in post-secondary education. Throw in a little Maple to sort out tough math problems. A couple years on NATURAL/ADABAS, VB, JAVA, and now PeopleSoft. Along the way, I also picked up enough HTML to get by.
    I keep meaning to dabble a bit in scripting in C and or Perl, but free time has been sparse lately. I spend too much damn time on these boards!! j/k :P
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

My first language was pascal
    After programming it for some month's, I gave up on it, and didn't program for some years. Later on, I found Visual Basic, wich got me back to programming. Now, I'm programming C, and thinking of learning C# ( Yes, I know. But I've seen many jobs avalible for C# programmers ). Maybe I'll try some C++ aswell.

For you to learn programming, I would suggest pascal to you. You could call it "a mix of basic and C"
    Besides, its not a total waste in learning it.. GTK+ works on it :P
    And there is a free pascal compiler on www.freepascal.org

Linux Engineer
    For you to learn programming, I would suggest pascal to you. You could call it "a mix of basic and C"
    Besides, its not a total waste in learning it.. GTK+ works on it :P
    And there is a free pascal compiler on www.freepascal.org
    Pascal was one of my first languages and if nothing else it'll teach you to be tidy about declarations and syntax! Dunno if I'd recommend it now though

Just Joined!
    My first programming language was Flash's ActionScript. I didn't know anything about computers and I gave it a try...
    I think that Flash is a very good enviroment to get started with programming as soon as it gives you a lot of tools to quickly develop multimedia and web based applications.
    It's OOP and you can really start learning the basics of programming techniques.
    I know it's a propietary software, but I don't know.... it's my personal experience and I mostly here because I really enjoied using Flash.
    ( you can run Flash on Linux with WINE )

Then I started with PHP+MYSQL for database connectivity between Flash or HTML and it has been a revolution for me. I like php and I spend literally hours in front of the text editor developing real or just invented applications.
    I'm starting with C++ for a future project, and it is much more complex than any other language I previously tried.

That's just my personal experience

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast