Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to unmount a network drive on exit, so as no one else can access the mounting. I used the command "umount /mnt/hdrive" on the /root/ but when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bash_logout

I want to unmount a network drive on exit, so as no one else can access the mounting.

I used the command

"umount /mnt/hdrive" on the /root/
    but when I logout and logback in again the folder still exists... why is this?

===============================================
    The reason why im doing this is that when I log on to root, I want to mount a network drive using samba so that I can map a folder so i can access it with ease (like a home network drive). Once I login it asks me for a password - which is great, but if i log in again, it wont ask for a password n just have the folder there and anyone can access it. Thats why I want to unmount the path on exit

Many thanks
    Ol i

there are two things happening here.

1st there is a sub-directory (folder) called /mnt/hdrive , this is as real a sub-directory as any other (your home sub-directory for instance). You are then mounting a hard disk (I assume from the name) onto this sub-directory (and unmounting it with the umount command).

So, if you do a listing of /mnt/hdrive (ie. ls /mnt/hdrive -alF) you should see the files and sub-directories of that hard disk. Then if you unmount the hard disk and then repeat the listing, you should only see the empty sub-directory.

Be aware that you can automatically mount disks by including them within /etc/fstab (go on, have a look at what's there now - cat /etc/fstab)

have fun

nerderello

Just Joined!
    Im mounting the network drive {//it-staff/okh$} using the command:
    mount -t smbfs -o username=okh //it-staff/okh //mnt/hdrive
    I have placed the above command in the .bashrc file (located root/).

This all works fine, but I want to unmount this file when the root logs out.

I have tried placing:
    umount /mnt/hdrive
    in the .bash_logout (located root/
    this does not unmount the drive! (its not because the drived is mounted everytime root logs in because I have temp removed the mount line from the bashrc file).

SO:
    If you say I should mount the drive in the fstab file, should it look something like this:

/dev/hda7 / ext2 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    //it-staff/okh$ /mnt/hdrive smbfs defaults 0 0

Is this right? But if that works, how am I ment to unmount then on log-off? As I dont want other users to see it when they login?
    And if im fealing really adverterus, could it be possible to mount a specific network drive per user?
    :P

Just Joined!

Basically I dont think its looking at bash_logout

I dont think it is reading the .bash_logout file, any ideas?
    :cry: