Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been thinking of something lately. You can easily probe this forum for new posts by doing "lynx -source http://www.linuxforums.org/ | grep folder_new_big". There are of course more sophisticated ways, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Forum notification

I've been thinking of something lately. You can easily probe this forum for new posts by doing "lynx -source http://www.linuxforums.org/ | grep folder_new_big". There are of course more sophisticated ways, but that's the easiest. What I've had in mind for a while is notifying myself whenever a new post arrives, but I cannot think of a good program to use to do the actual notification. I've thought up some options:
    1. Play a sound. I could easily miss this if I'm not by the computer at the moment, though.
    2. Use write. Sometimes, however, I don't have a terminal open, and even though I might have, it might be in another workspace.
    3. Use some mail notification applet for the panel. This feels like a very unelegant solution, though.
    4. Write a program that pops up a window whenever a notification request is sent to a socket or something. It feels like this would take too long to be worth it, especially since I've done almost no X programming at all.

As you can see, I'm have a horrible, life-endangering dilemma here, to say the least. I bet there is some perfect application that comes with the distribution that I've missed. If someone knows which one that is, please tell me.

Linux User
    you could use the popup idea fairly easily with some java, i am no java guru but i have done enough to know that it is painless for many simple things, you could create a java program that pops up a window, waiting for you to click it, and then closes - this could be called from any shell script

i few minor mods to hello world could accomplish the minimum goal, if your like me you will start there and then keep adding features...

import javax.swing.*;

public class HelloWorldSwing {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
    JFrame frame = new JFrame("HelloWorldSwing");
    final JLabel label = new JLabel("Hello World");
    frame.getContentPane().add(label);

frame.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOS E);
    frame.pack();
    frame.setVisible(true);
    }
    }
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    I really don't want to taint my system with to much java. In that case, I'll just do it in gtk/C. Maybe that's just for the best.

Linux Enthusiast
    how about an rss feed of linuxforums? I wonder how feasible that would be.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    It would be useful with some kind of notification from linuxforums that a new message has arrived along with a forum and message ID... Do you think you could fix that, sykkn?

Linux User
    that's alot of traffic though if you get a message for every post - i mean that could add up pretty fast - i would imagine the reason is wasn't there to begin with is that the majority of people (myself included) wouldn't want notified for every message
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    I guess it wouldn't really be the most smooth solution, of course. One should probably make a HTML parser piped to something more extensible.