Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all Im thinking of learning c++ and have a few questions. 1. What is the difference between a C++ IDE and Visual C++ IDE 2. Can you recommend a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

C++ IDE

Hi all

Im thinking of learning c++ and have a few questions.

1. What is the difference between a C++ IDE and Visual C++ IDE

2. Can you recommend a good IDE? I want the IDE to be able to do 2 things.
    Firstly i want it to be able to show my workspace and all the classes i have made so i can easily switch between them and also i want it to be able to show me all the methods available to an object instance. For example, if i had an object called Question and if i write Question. then it shows a list box of all the methods and attributes that i can use with the Qustion object. For those of you familiar with Visual Basic (which is a language i hate but it will do for showing you this example), what im reffering to is the same as writing Form1. and it shows you all the methods you can use like show() and hide() etc.

3. Can anybody recommend a good online tutorial that mainly aims to get you familiar with the OOP side of C++, not just the syntax, so how to create instances, destructors etc.

Thanks

Linux User
    1. More or less, no difference.
    A Visual IDE would generally come with support tools that allow you to design the visual components of the app (like dialog boxes, forms etc.) using a visual resource editor tool.

2. KDevelop

3. I would recommend "Object Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications" 3rd Ed. by Grady Booch.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

and "Design Patterns" by Erich Gamma
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...054776-1248136

When you start using C++ seriously, you can consider using
    "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++" by Scott Meyers.

HTH
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for your help mate! I really appreciate it.

I have 2 more questions for you.

1. Are you 100% sure that KDevelop meets the 2 requirements i asked for in my original post. I had a look at the website and i couldnt find any mention of the second requirement i asked for. So i thought it was best to confirm it with you before downloading

2. Is the OOP logic in C++ similar to OOP in java? I am quite confident with OOP in java and wondering if C++ uses the same logic. Like the ability to create interface and abstract classes, and to create instances of object classes. I understand the syntax wont be the same but is the logic behind the two the same?

Thanks again mate

Linux User
    1. I believe it does, though it's been quite some time I've used KDevelop myself. But I distinctly remember that being an available feature. You can check out the feature list on the site:
    http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?f.../features.html

It might be listed in the feature list of some older version.

2. OOP is a general methodology. The methodology itself is independent of the language that you use to "realize" the designs. However, each language can support the features in different ways.

As far as Java v/s C++ goes, yes, the OOP "logic" remains the same - you can create interfaces and abstract classes (in fact, in C++, there is no "special" interface as defined by Java because C++ supports multiple inheritance quite well). I didn't understand the meaning of "object classes" though.
    The Unforgiven

Just Joined!
    Excellent, thanks for the help. I shall download it now

My terminology is probably wrong when i referred to the "object class". Basically all i meant is a class that can be instantiated and models a real life object. Like if i has a question class which stored a question and its answer, then i could create many instances of these question classes each having a different question and therefore a different answer i could create many of these question objects.

Like i said i probably just got the terminology wrong.

Thanks again for all your help mate

hal
    Just Joined!
    i think eclipse has great support for c++ too. i use it because i got addictd to it when i was programing in java.

Linux Enthusiast
    What about anjuta?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    What about anjuta?
    He's looking for something very close to VC++ IDE. So, naturally, KDevelop is the best choice.

That doesn't mean Anjuta is any bad...
    In fact, it's very very good too.
    But it's more towards GTK+/gtkmm, whereas kdevelop is very close to QT/KDE.

Personally, I found QT to be far easier to program with.
    But that's my personal opinion..
    The Unforgiven

Linux Newbie
    Eclipse For Life.

>>>>>GNOME USER<<<<<
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

Just Joined!
    Kdevelop is better, in my opionion....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast