Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to send an email to a pager through my shell script on linux. I use K shell. Problem : I am able to send an email ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to send messages to pager using mail command.

Hi,

I am trying to send an email to a pager through my shell script on linux. I use K shell.
    Problem :
    I am able to send an email to any email address both from my script as well as from the command line. But when I replace the email address with a pager number as follows -- pagernumber@skytel.com(pager number is numeric); nothing happens. I don't get paged either from the command line or from my script.
    Following is my command in the script which I replace with text if trying from the command line:
    print "$user, $MESSAGE, $SERVER, `date`" | mail -s "Application $LEVEL PROBLEM" $pager_number
    When I replace pager_number with an email address , it works perfectly but when I replace it with a pager number in the format pagernumber@skytel.com , nothing happens.
    Can somebody please help ?

Thanks
    Deepika

Linux Enthusiast
    Try mail $pager_number and see if that works.In other words don't
    include a subject.

Just Joined!
    Thanks ........

I tried this from the command line :

mail pagernumber@skytel.com
    Subject: TEST
    TEST
    Cc: email@email.com

That didn't work Also, what I'm doing here is to implement a monitoring script which will page the team when the problem occurs. So I will need a subject too..... Any ideas?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Unable to send messages to pager using mail command.

Hi there,

Did you find any solution for your problem? I am trying to do the same type of monitoring service on a linux box. I am unable to send emails to the pager. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Sangeeta

scm
    Linux Engineer
    When you say "nothing happens", how does this "nothing" manifest itself? Have you checked the mail logs and queues to ensure the outgoing mail to skype is being sent? If it's leaving your box, the problem is with skype (or your use of it).