Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: dd question

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dd question

I'm setting up a CD server at work which requires the ripping of CDs to ISO format. For this, I'm using the dd utility. It rips fine and everything, but is there anyway to get a status out of it while it's running? Ripping a CD takes a while, and it would be nice to give the user some feedback while it's happening, like a percentage done or an ETA or even a rotating slash (you know: /,-,\,|, etc.).

Maybe I'm not running the right tool for the job. dd works perfectly though and I can use it in a script.

Also, I've run into another problem. I want to be able to mount the ISOs and share them over the network. Sharing's not really a problem, but only root can mount ISOs, which I want to be able to do with a user named iso. I've heard there's a way of writing to fstab so that users can mount stuff. But I want the iso user to be able to manage the whole thing without sudo, su, or root intervention (required for fstab/mounting), which includes creating new ISOs and mounting them.

I'm going to work on the problems by myself, but any help would be much appreciated.

could u get a script that gets the total amount of data on the CD then the filesize of the iso image and compare the 2 to get a rough %complete? It would probably need to be a seperate script that was run, but is a possible solution
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what has to be done I think. But I don't know... wait! I've got an idea.

Have dd run in the background. The size of the image should be the same as the size of the CD right? So have it run in a loop that checks the size of the image versus the size of the CD and print the result.

We'll see.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by anglozaxxon
    Thanks for the suggestion. That's what has to be done I think. But I don't know... wait! I've got an idea.

Have dd run in the background. The size of the image should be the same as the size of the CD right? So have it run in a loop that checks the size of the image versus the size of the CD and print the result.

We'll see.
    That's exactly what i suggested

Great minds eh?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327