Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, i've been using Bluefish for a long time, and its great. But having no visual reference to write HTTP tags is horrible. I tryed using a few editors such ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Visual Editor for PHP?

Well, i've been using Bluefish for a long time, and its great. But having no visual reference to write HTTP tags is horrible. I tryed using a few editors such as Mozilla Composer and Nvu, but they output an horrid and exessively-big source code. There's any linux-native editor that works the same way as Dreamweaver?

I believe Zend does PHP in a wysiwyg fashion. Not really too sure about how much rubbish code it adds in.

I always tend to code php in a simple text mode rather that wysiwyg fashion.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!

gvim / gtk version of emacs

I would agree with sdousley, php is not really a language you can edit wysiwyg. I installed bluefish a few days a go to edit my php, but abandoned it because it did not highlight very well, and intalled vim-gtk instead. It recognises every language I knew existed, and even more I never heard of.
    To cut down the amount of code bluefish creates can be jigged a bit in the preferences, but I dont think dreamweaver is any better, whenever i use it it drives me mad. During my windows period (wireless card in linux problems) I used notepad 2. Its notpad but with syntax highlighting. (and its gnu)
    but if u insist, http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml gives the following similer packages to dreamweaver that u should check out, and give us ur feedback, as Im sure lots more people like to edit html in this way.

1) Netscape / Mozilla Composer. - u already tried
    2) Openoffice HTML editor. - My guess and from passed experiance a bit code heavy
    3) Amaya. - intresting concept but not what u want
    - rest never heard of
    4) GINF (Ginf is not Frontpage)
    5) IBM WebSphere Homepage Builder. [Prop]
    6) JXHTMLEDIT (Java).

1) Quanta Plus.
    2) Bluefish. - u tried already
    3) WebMaker.
    4) Screem.
    5) Toppage.
    6) WebDesigner.
    7) ScriptEditor.
    8) August.
    9) Coffeecup / Linux.
    10) FCKeditor.
    11) Arachnofilia.

Re: gvim / gtk version of emacs

Quote Originally Posted by Dread nact
    I would agree with sdousley, php is not really a language you can edit wysiwyg.
    Reason being that u cannot really implement loops and if statements etc into a wysiwyg style editor.

If u just buy a nice PHP book, then it will have all you need in order to code php straight in a text editor. When i used windows, i remember using simple notepad to code php and html hehe now that's awkward.... not colour coding etc!

A good book i suggest is: This Book

I learnt the basics from this book (well, actually the 2nd Editiion, but still) And then just got other small books from the library to aid me with extras. This book also has the book on a CD that accompanies the book, and also all the examples given in the book (for the 2nd edition at least) were on the CD also.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327