Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, this code, from my Shell Programming book is troubling me. What does $1 !- /total/ do here..? I understand the rest of it. $ ls -l | awk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What does $1 !- /total/ do here..?

Hi All,

this code, from my Shell Programming book is troubling me. What does $1 !- /total/ do here..? I understand the rest of it.

$ ls -l | awk `$1 !- /total/ { printf "%-32s %s\n" ,$9,$5 ; } `

$9= File names
    $5=File size

the $1 (iirc) is the first argument passed to the shell script, so if u ran:
    Code:
    ./shellscript.sh hello
    $1 would be equal to 'hello'.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

scm
    Linux Engineer
    You've put backticks surrounding the awk arguments. If they should be single quotes, the $1 isn't a shell variable, it'll be the first field in the line that awk is matching. What that will do is match every line whose first field is not the string "total", and print the 9th and 5th arguments of those lines. It's basically printing out each line from ls -l but suppressing the total line.

The reason the pattern isn't used on its own (awk /total/ { print ...}) is to guard against filenames containing the string "total".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi All,

ah, my error there. I thought they were back ticks, as opposed to actually being single quotes. The book didn't explain the code's use of $1 1- /total/. It makes sense now.