Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of warning messages when I compile and most of them boil down to warning me about comparing an unsigned int ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suppress warning about unsigned int compared with int

Hi All,
    I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of warning messages when I compile and most of them boil down to warning me about comparing an unsigned int with a regular int.

For example, if I'm looping with a line like:
    for(int i = 0; i < someVector.size(); i++)

I can go around to ever <vector>.size() call and explicity cast the unsigned int to an int, but there must be a better way than this.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Stu

Linux Enthusiast
    Use -Wno-sign-compare

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Why not declare i as unsigned?

Just Joined!
    I went with the no-sign-compare option for now...I have too many for loops where I use int so it was just easier to add that option, although I guess I could find myself in some stragnge trouble down the road.

Thanks for the help.

Stu

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Why do you declare i in the for loop? Just make it global through the function and you've only got a single instance to change! Or get a decent editor and make a global change with a single clever command?

It's good prgramming practice to match datatypes, BTW, casting (explicit or implicit) is (IMO) A Bad Thing.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it was the need to cast types that I thought wasn't the greatest idea and resulted in me posting.

My convention is to not have global for loop integers because if I'm in a situation where there are 3, 4, 5 different loops within a single scope it seems safer to me that I can't accidentally improperly re-use a variable from a wider scope... do you know what I mean. Am I misunderstanding you?

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sadohert
    Yeah, it was the need to cast types that I thought wasn't the greatest idea and resulted in me posting.

My convention is to not have global for loop integers because if I'm in a situation where there are 3, 4, 5 different loops within a single scope it seems safer to me that I can't accidentally improperly re-use a variable from a wider scope... do you know what I mean. Am I misunderstanding you?
    No, my suggestion didn't cover the case of nested loops. Whenever I use nested loops I use different loop counter names because I usually have to refer to all of them in the innermost loop! It's a good idea to limit scope where you can.