Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to debug an application and anytime I use breakpoints to step into the code I get this problem: Code: Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap. [Switching to Thread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Funny gdb: libpthread.so.0, SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap

I'm trying to debug an application and anytime I use breakpoints to step into the code I get this problem:
    Code:
    Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
    [Switching to Thread 1270610864 (LWP 30338)]
    0x40c9e931 in __nptl_death_event () from /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
    I use Mandrake 10.1 mostly as is. The differences I do development with are:
    • 1. I have installed a 2nd version of gcc and all it's tools (3.2.3) because I need to when compiling with Matlab.
      2. I have installed a 2nd version of QT that I develop with to be compatible with the older compiler (lbstdc++ to be specific)

The things I did recently that potentially caused the problem are:
    • 1. I had to recompile the 2nd QT to include support for mySQL calls because I need to interface with mySQL databases
      2. Following from above, I've now started using mySQL and I can't quite remember if I was having the problem before. I THINK I was. Either way I removed the mySQL calls and the problem still happens when I step through the code

Everything works great when I don't debug. It's as soon as I start debugging I get these errors and there's no consistency to it at all.

Could it be that I need to use an older version of gdb that matches better with gcc 3.2.3 (the gdb website made me think older versions would be a bad idea)? Or perhaps somehow link against older libpthread versions (what package woudl this be part of)?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Just Joined!

Hallelujah DEBIAN!!

Well, it turns out the Mathworks (makers of Matlab) acknowledge that there is a problem when calling their compiled shared libraries from Red Hat based distributions. I just finished getting my Debian distro all setup and for kicks decided to try the Matlab Compiler without bothering to install gcc-3.2.3 (supposedly this is necessary, and my Debian shipped with gcc v 3.3.5). Well, the Matlab compile worked, and when I stepped through the code NO MORE ERRORS!!!

SWEET.... assuming I'm not jumping the gun I might actually be able to progress forward instead of spinning my wheels.

I doubt this matters to most people, but just in case someone goes searching around here with the same problem.... here's your answer.