Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Can it be done? If it can I would be more than happy to cross over to the wonderful world of linux. I just want to know because I use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can Microsoft Visual c++ work with Linux

Can it be done? If it can I would be more than happy to cross over to the wonderful world of linux. I just want to know because I use that to develop games.

Um, i dont think visual studio can be run under linux. You can however setup a dual booting box with one part of the hard drive dedicated to windows and the other part dedicated to linux. that way you can still develop games under windows, and explore linux at teh same time.

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Can't it work under codeweavers crossover? Im sure one of the visual basics can.

Just Joined!
    Can it run under WINE? If it can that would be great but I'm not really looking for it just to run. I need it to be able to find all of the neede files that you have to inckude to make a program run. ex: the command include <included file (ex. iostream) >

Re: Can Microsoft Visual c++ work with Linux

Quote Originally Posted by IcedMetal
    Can it be done? If it can I would be more than happy to cross over to the wonderful world of linux. I just want to know because I use that to develop games.
    Why would you want to? There are plenty of full-features C++ IDE programs available for Linux. Not to mention, it would force you to code better, since VC++ does not enforce ANSI-standard coding practices.

Some that I've enjoyed in the past are KDevelop and Eclipse with the C++ plugin.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Ok, you can develop console apps with KDevelop and the like, but how are you meant to draw up menus and command buttons like in visual basic on a linux system.

If you can point me to a program in which is similar to visual c++ in that i can develop a gui based program, that would be nice as i can finally get rid of another of my windows dependancies.

AlexK, iirc you should have a look at Eclipse with the C++ plugin. Since Eclipse is java IDE, and the C++ plugin lets you use it for C++ programing.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

ok, thanks very much, ill have a look into that.

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    AlexK, iirc you should have a look at Eclipse with the C++ plugin. Since Eclipse is java IDE, and the C++ plugin lets you use it for C++ programing.
    Is there anything similar for pure C programming?

Quote Originally Posted by SCO
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Is there anything similar for pure C programming?
    As far as I know, you can use any of the IDEs in Linux for C programming as well. If you're specifically talking about a C plugin for Eclipse, though, I don't know.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast