Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im learning java, and I need some good java books, any suggestions?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Good Java Books.

Im learning java, and I need some good java books, any suggestions?

Linux Enthusiast
    Thinking in Java is considered good but I haven't read it myself.

I've used Big Java as a nice starter to programming in general, not a great reference for the serious java programmer, but if you are new to programming in general, it doesn't assume much about more advanced concepts (threads and the like) overall, it was gentle, but comprehensive.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Though I learned Java in a class and never once opened my Java book, I hear good things about it.

We used Big Java also, and my teacher loved it. Again though, I never opened it once.

Also, I dunno if the O'Reilly Java books are any good, but I'm an O'Reilly fan. Their books tend to be good, and also funny.

For a relatively easy read that gives you a good overall broad grasp of Java from the command-line to the GUI, I enjoyed Learn Java in a Weekend. I picked it up at Half Price Books for something like $7.99. Best cheap PC book I've bought in a while.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Though I learned Java in a class and never once opened my Java book, I hear good things about it.

We used Big Java also, and my teacher loved it. Again though, I never opened it once.

Also, I dunno if the O'Reilly Java books are any good, but I'm an O'Reilly fan. Their books tend to be good, and also funny.
    Ive got Learning Java by O'Reilly, it's pretty good, im on the 2nd chapter, and it's giving me a overall idea of the language syntax, functions, what graphical interfaces are used (swing) etc.

Linux Guru
    If you are new to programming, O'Reilly's "Learning Java" will probably be too much: I think their target audience is C and C++ programmers. Same for "Thinking in Java". For beginners, Sam's Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days is great: it starts with bare basics and gets in deep quickly, in my view. But then, I've had the book for 2 months and still haven't learned Java!
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

In my opinion, the best books for initially picking up a programming language are the Schaums series. Once I have mastered the stuff tought in these I go onto the more advanced stuff.