Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a bit of a newbie to linux and can do some things. I have managed to get everything up and running correctly. But I dont know how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

User script

Hi, I am a bit of a newbie to linux and can do some things. I have managed to get everything up and running correctly.

But I dont know how to do any shell scripting. And I want to write one that will do the following.

[root@localhost /]# ./webuser <username> <password> <quota>

Would create a user on the system. With a disk quota based on MB specified in the command line, and add a folder called 'www' with in the user's home dir. Oh yea and it would also create a mySQL user and a db called bn_USERNAME.
    Can anyone take some time to help me do this? Maybe teach me some basics about how this would be done.

Linux Engineer
    Well, I don't have MySQL so I can't help you out in those parts but I'll get you started.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# The first line above MUST be exactly as you see it. executes a subshell and runs the following commands

# In scripting &#40;Bourne&#41;, $1 - $9 represent the command line arguments
    # $0 is the name of the script. You can also make variables using '$'
    echo "First field&#58; $1"
    echo "Second field&#58; $2"
    echo "Third field&#58; $3"
    Save this file as "webuser" and set the executable permissions for it (chmod +a webuser or chmod 755 webuser). Once that's done, try running it like the way you have it.
    Code:
    $ ./webuser brock mypasswd 1500
    It should print out the values you gave in. So this the most basic thing I can teach you. You'll now have to use builtin commands (i.e: useradd) to help you along the way but it shouldn't be hard at all. Let me know if you run into trouble.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Excelent! I got it to add a user I dont know how to set a quota tho... Any ideas there?

Linux Engineer
    Setting quota is a lot more work than you think. First, you need the option enabled in the kernel to do so. As most distributions have this enabled, I don' t think you'll need to worry about this part. Then you'll need to turn quota on with /usr/sbin/quotaon. From here, you'll have to manage userquota, groupquota and the quota database. I'd suggest www.google.com to try to find a nice tutorial on this since I think they'll be able to explain it better.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    LOL ok ill look around. Thanks

Linux Guru
    Here's the documentation that comes with the source distribution of the quota userspace tools (in PostScript format):
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf/quotas.ps