Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using 3.3 but wondering about upgrading. It's supposed to have a overhauled optimization engine, but that usually means it's also going to be slower. I figure speed should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Anyone here using GCC 4.0x?

I am using 3.3 but wondering about upgrading. It's supposed to have a overhauled optimization engine, but that usually means it's also going to be slower. I figure speed should be next on the agenda for improvment
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

A few things are broken by 4.0, but FC4 ships with it, so I guess it's supported enough. Just don't be surprised if you end up with strange errors! I personally find 3.4.x suitable, but 4.0 is a valid alternative.

Yeah, it's still going to have some bugs/problems, after all it's still at the "point 0" stage. I am experimenting with DJ Delorie's DOS port of GCC 4.01 on another machine, but havn't noticed any major differences so far. The optimizations probably won't be noticable for small pieces of code though.

BTW I wouldn't take Fedora's inclusion as any kind of sign. Stability has never really been the mandate for Fedora That's why I don't like that distro.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Guru
    As you say, the overhaul of the optimization engine right now means that it generates slower code.

GCC 4 includes a new abstract syntax tree notation, which supposedly makes it much easier to write much more powerful optimizations. However, these optimizations have yet to be written, and since the new AST broke some old optimizations which also have yet to be rewritten, the result is that right now, GCC 4 generates slower code than GCC 3.

GCC 4 still has some other advantages over GCC 3, however. First of all, its Java compiler is much better than the one in GCC 3. It also offers to compile run-time array-bound checks, for security reasons (these make the code slower, but much more secure, and should be used for testing a program). I think the primary reason for FC4 to include GCC 4 is most likely the new Java compiler implementation, since they now ship with Native Eclipse and lots of other Java stuff.

Linux Engineer
    You won't be able to get past configure scripts on KDE applications. It says something like "This compiler has been know to miscompile KDE. You need to use a different compiler." Fedora must have used GCC3 to compile KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by GNU_man
    Yeah, it's still going to have some bugs/problems, after all it's still at the "point 0" stage. I am experimenting with DJ Delorie's DOS port of GCC 4.01 on another machine, but havn't noticed any major differences so far. The optimizations probably won't be noticable for small pieces of code though.

BTW I wouldn't take Fedora's inclusion as any kind of sign. Stability has never really been the mandate for Fedora That's why I don't like that distro.
    FC4 improved statability A LOT. I don't think I've ever had FC4 crash. FC3 crashed like once every other day though.