Find the answer to your Linux question:
Iíve got quick oneÖ Iím running synergy between Windoze and RedHat. I start the client on the RedHat machine by manually entering in: Code: synergyc 192.168.0.5 Well I want it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Simple script question for X

Iíve got quick oneÖ

Iím running synergy between Windoze and RedHat. I start the client on the RedHat machine by manually entering in:

Code:
    synergyc 192.168.0.5
    Well I want it to kick on when I start my GUI instead of manually running it. I found that if you enter in a script in:

Code:
    /home/nice/.kde/Autostart
    The script will run when X starts, but when X is on I have an Emacs window up with my script contents? I know the script works because I have tried in from the path and given it the correct permissions. Here is my script file (mind you Iím very new at scripting)

Code:
    #bin/bash
    synergyc 192.168.0.5
    Is this wrong anyone got any input?

Well, first off, the script doesn't even have to be that complex. Just make a file:

Code:
    synergyc 192.168.0.5
    set it executable, and stick it somewhere.

Now then, what I'd recommend is more of fiddling with ~/.xinitrc, because I know how that works. Basically, anything there will be executed after X starts up. So for you, stick the following there:

Code:
    /path/to/sysenrgyc/script &
    exec startkde
    That'll start X, then run your script in the background, and boot up KDE. When you exit KDE, you'll return to the commandline.