Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to compile steghide-0.5.1 from source, which requires mhash and libcrypt. I extracted all three to sibling directories, then ran ./configure (with a --prefix path deeper in the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Building, with depedencies in non-standard locations [Solved]

I'm trying to compile steghide-0.5.1 from source, which requires mhash and libcrypt. I extracted all three to sibling directories, then ran ./configure (with a --prefix path deeper in the same directory tree), make, and make install on the two dependencies. This produced the proper library files and put a header in a convenient spot, but I'm not sure how to tell steghide's configure script where to look for them.

I saw no option to pass a path directly, although at the end of the help output it lists some influential environmental variables, including CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS for specifying -I and -L. These have not worked. In fact, I created a dummy source file with #include <mhash.h>, and cannot compile it with gcc test.cpp unless I explicitly specify -I and -L on the command line. The variables listed in the man page for gcc (COMPILER_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH, CPATH, CPP_INCLUDE_PATH) have no effect.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Why did you make PREFIX deep inside the build directory tree? Why not in someplace standard ( like /usr or /usr/local )

Linux Newbie
    I didn't feel like adding another non-rpm-based utility to root space, since this is likely to be the only place I'll need it.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    But it's a standard library it sounds like...To each his own.

Linux Newbie
    Well if it were that standard I think it would already be installed by default or available as a package for my distribution (Suse 9.2). If there really is no other solution, I don't have a major objection to installing to root space, but I find it pretty annoying that it's not working this way.

To condense my previous paragraphs and restate the problem:

What environmental variable allows me to add include and library paths to gcc/g++?

Thanks.

[edit]

Solution: I'm a fool. I didn't export the variables after setting them. I was under the impression that exporting was for when you wanted the same value to be available in a different shell process, not for passing the value onto subsequent processes started from the same shell.