Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

help in compile with openGL

Hello as with many, I'm new to Linux but old to programming. I've set the system up, installed mesa-6.3.2, followed setup instructions,used make install which has put the lib files (which have installed into /usr/local/lib and headers to /usr/local/include/GL (is this right)).

I tried to compile using a simple make main in my projects directory. This contains a simple hello world programme. This works so I changed it to printf("hello world %d", GL_PROJECTION) and added #include <GL/gl.h>, this works so I know it's using the header file.
    Next I added a glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); to test if the libary is being linked in. This produces

g++ main.cc -o main
    /tmp/ccif6YAV.o(.text+0x25): In function 'main':
    main.cc:undefined reference to 'glMatrixmode'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    main:*** [main] Error1

I've tried adding it to the path using
    export PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/include/GL:/usr/bin (for compiler)

but get the same result, can anyone advise

Linux Newbie
    The PATH variable is just for finding executables entered from a shell. You probably want something like CPATH or LIBRARY_PATH, or maybe LDFLAGS. Try passing the location of the library directory to gcc with -L/usr/local/lib, and the name of the library as -lGL.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Thanks that worked

g++ -o main main.cc -I/ysr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -IGL

Don't know why files aren't going into usr/lib

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Well that was lucky - I made a typo, I meant to type -L/usr/lib. Glad it worked for you though. You should add /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include to your compiler's default search paths so you don't have to use the flags every time, but I'm not sure how to do that - my distro probably had it set like that automatically.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

problem for some reason my version of linux PATH doesn't point to usr/lib ect by default, but I've just found out you can add change paths by entering ect/profile and editing the default paths. Bit like edit paths in windows