Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I never done anything with softare scripting languages and I would like to learn more about java and C++. I'm also hopefully going to try taking the AP Comp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where to start on scripting and programming (java and C++)

Hi,

I never done anything with softare scripting languages and I would like to learn more about java and C++. I'm also hopefully going to try taking the AP Comp Science which is not offered as a class at my school

My question is where do I begin? I have a few books but I'm also looking for other sources,
    and what programs can you use to experiment with your scripts? I heard of visual basic is that the most reliable one?

Thanks,

Peace

First, Java and C++ are NOT scripting languages.
    Second, Visual Basic is a BASIC-like interpreted language of its own, and is a Microsoft product.
    Third, for the AP test, there is a greater amount of Java than C++ ( at least in Florida ), so you might want to focus on that ( /me vomits at the prospect of having to do another two semesters of Java for AP, cos it's evil and inefficient uke: )
    Fourth, the best Java book(s) I know is (are) Core Java ( I and II ).
    Fifth, good luck with that!
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    wow,

I guess I have a long way to go in learning..

I feel dumb for not knowin heh.

I'll look into those then.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    ( /me vomits at the prospect of having to do another two semesters of Java for AP, cos it's evil and inefficient uke: )
    Now now, must we get into another language argument? I code Java for a living, and I quite enjoy it. My favorite Java book when I was still learning was Learn Java In a Weekend. It gives you a nice broad overview of a lot of features in Java, which lets you then find other books (like the O'Reilly's or Teach Yourself or WROX series) that drill down into more detail.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just stating my opinion. I think that the whole VM idea is a bit...shall we say different, but for web apps, Java certainly serves its purpose. I'm just not a fan of stand-alone Java programming.
    I've never read Learn Java in a Weekend, but I think I'll stick by my Core Javas.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    The best way to get into scripting (IMO) is to play around with existing scripts - change them and see what happens. Learn by doing. Once you've got the hang of it, study the shell man pages for the subtleties, or ask on here, of course! For "proper" programming languages, you need a basic grounding to get you started.