Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm searching for a linux alternative to Visual Studio. I'm trying to create a LiveCD I can use in school for programming, and were doing Visual Basic this year. We ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Visual Basic, Visual Studio

I'm searching for a linux alternative to Visual Studio. I'm trying to create a LiveCD I can use in school for programming, and were doing Visual Basic this year. We use Visual Studio to create our programs, so something similar I could use would be awsome. It needs to have the ability to add elements (Textboxs, buttons, comboboxs, etc) to a form and easily edit the properties. And of coarse have something for creating subs, modules, functions, etc. Any suggestions?

Linux Engineer

Just Joined!
    That's almost what I wanted but there are some major flaws.
    Can't pass variable by reference.
    No equivilant to index propertires of VB controls.
    No MouseMove events.
    Lacking project wide variables.

I use most of those on a daily basis so without them I'd be in trouble.

Linux Engineer
    You could also try:
    Mono
    HBasic

bri
    Just Joined!
    there is also VisualPerl (I think PHP and Python as well) that are .Net plugins and have abilities to make executables. If you are looking to make something for a linux system this may help. But also look into mono, I am looking at that for my senior design project and it may be helpful to you.

Just Joined!
    HBasic looks promising but truthfully I haven't gotten around to even installing it. Damn college applications. >.<

Just Joined!
    I cant believe no one has said this yet, but is there any reason you dont want to use kdevelop? The built in qtdesigner is very similar to the form builder your probably used to. And it integrates with a ton languages(c/++ python ruby etc.)

There are limitations imposed, if you are using the free license, all software that you produce must remain open source. This really doesnt bother me, because Im usually programming for the fun of it. Well, that and the fact that its kinda hard to make a script closed source in the first place, and most of what I write is scripted.