Find the answer to your Linux question:
Allo tout la monde! I am developing a programme in GTK/GNOME, and I would like to start writing the documentation for it. (It really does provide a good break from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about Writing GNOME Documentation

Allo tout la monde!

I am developing a programme in GTK/GNOME, and I would like to start writing the documentation for it. (It really does provide a good break from the intensity of writing code!) The problem is that I don't know how to display the online help topics in that cool, GNOME window "thingy" that is used by the "professional" GNOME programmes.

I want to make my programme as professional as possible, and I even have hopes of submitting it to GNOME. Currently, choosing "Manual" from the Help menu displays the document as a big text file in a GtkTextView. There is no nice formatting or cross-linking between the sections.

Can someone please tell me how to include formatted text, hyperlinks and images in my help documentation?

Thanks a lot.

Is this the sort of guide you're looking for?

Just Joined!
    Thanks lakerdonald! That's perfect!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just out of curiosity, do you use glade at all?

Just Joined!
    Yep, I use Glade. I am using Glade for this project. Initially, I started out by coding everything manually, but then, it became too much of a hassle. Glade gives me the flexibility of moving around the widgets with a minimum of effort--and for that, I love the programme.

I wish there were some way by which I could generate documentation from within Glade.

This isn't quite the same, but if you set up your project using GNOME extensions then you can at least use the standard GNOME help window ( although you're probably already doing that! )

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the delay in the response.

Actually, I am using the GNOME extensions. I specified by project as a "GNOME Project" when I first created it. But I don't see anything called "Gnome Help Window" in any of the lists of widgets--not even in the list of deprecated widgets.

Can yu please tell me which one you are talking about? I'm using the version of Glade that comes with Fedora Core 4.

Hmm I must have been confusing the help window and about window...sorry about that.