Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all. I've got a few questions about deploying an app once you've written it. As it stands, I've written a Java app that I am intending to distribute. As ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Makefile and configure

Hey all. I've got a few questions about deploying an app once you've written it.

As it stands, I've written a Java app that I am intending to distribute. As such, I need to create a Makefile and a configure script.

I've looked at the autoconf documentation, and I've experience in writing basic Makefiles, but the former is very difficult to understand, and I need substitution for the latter (my app requires SWT).

Does anyone know a good location for understandable instructions?

Thanks in advance!

I personally detest having to build configure scripts with auto{conf,make,gen,header,m4te}, but once it's done, it's damn easy to use. Here's a decent guide: http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf/...ual.html#SEC30

Linux User
    How about this:
    http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Soft...stallers/1890/

for creating installers?
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

That link looks like mostly apps used by installers, not apps used by the developer to create the installation package.

lakerdonald, that link cleared up a lot. Thanks. Unfortunately, it seems that Java is a bit tougher to use with make and all that junk.

I'm currently looking into Ant, which is a sort of make for Java. I may go and grab the O'Reilly book for it.

Thanks, though.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    That link looks like mostly apps used by installers, not apps used by the developer to create the installation package.

lakerdonald, that link cleared up a lot. Thanks. Unfortunately, it seems that Java is a bit tougher to use with make and all that junk.

I'm currently looking into Ant, which is a sort of make for Java. I may go and grab the O'Reilly book for it.

Thanks, though.
    definitely go with ant when compiling java.. it's neat and simple and it's actually LOTS more readable than a makefile

and eclipse will build a project using ant files also

http://ant.apache.org/manual/index.html

Yeah I've heard good things about ant.