Find the answer to your Linux question:
Friends I'm starting to learn multithread programming in Linux, I'm using C programming language. Besides the default in Unix systems is pthread (based in POSIX), I do want to write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Multithreading: which library to make it portable?

Friends

I'm starting to learn multithread programming in Linux, I'm using C programming language. Besides the default in Unix systems is pthread (based in POSIX), I do want to write programs that are portable between Linux and Windows.

I also learned that POSIX support in Windows is non-existent (well, 'it's not a bug, it's a feature') an addon just to make Windows more atractive in those 'feature lists'.

An issue that arrived is related to several ways to do it: you can use GLib, CommonC++, wxWidgets (which does have some threading functions, but for non GUI apps is overkill), and so on...

I think that the program being a GUI app or not will have an impact in choosing a library (so I'm currently wondering in non-GUI programs, command line oriented apps cases).

I'm aware that I could too port POSIX programs to Windows using Cygwin, but I think it's a problem if you need to install 200MB of software just to make a little 3000LOC C/C++ program to compile and run.

I'm wondering if someone out there have some experience in writing portable multithread apps and could share his/her experiences to us.

Best regards

Savago

Just Joined!
    Dear Savago

I have a solution but it's for C++ you can use QThread which is for Qt freamework and it's crossplatform

Just Joined!
    hungry-mind

Thanks for your reply. Using C++ is not a problem 'per si', cause I do think that portability is more important than language purism.

As a matter of fact, I did used C++ a lot... but lately I prefer the C way: cleaner and no compilation issues.

I guess that QT is overkill for a non GUI app (CLI oriented program), falling in the case of wxWidgets.

I will search more and design some experiments to see which library can make the code cleaner and has smaller footprint.

Savago

Quote Originally Posted by Savago
    hungry-mind

Thanks for your reply. Using C++ is not a problem 'per si', cause I do think that portability is more important than language purism.

As a matter of fact, I did used C++ a lot... but lately I prefer the C way: cleaner and no compilation issues.

I guess that QT is overkill for a non GUI app (CLI oriented program), falling in the case of wxWidgets.

I will search more and design some experiments to see which library can make the code cleaner and has smaller footprint.

Savago
    Perl has some decent libraries with multi-threading support.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Linux User

glib solution

Basing on my informations, libglib is portable on Windows platforms, and it has a flexible thread handling.

Even if GLib has no build-in thread implementation for Windows platforms, you can setup Glib to run any thread implementation: you setup a callback table adn everything will go well... the only point you should check is the Windows thread implementation!!!

This is a solution, but I think it will take a long time.
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)