Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to add headers to a file. The headers would be "Username User ID Group". I've been trying to use this script but its not working. Can anyone help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help adding headers???

I'm trying to add headers to a file. The headers would be "Username User ID Group".

I've been trying to use this script but its not working. Can anyone help me with this?

awk 'BEGIN{print "USER Name User ID Home Directory" }'

I'm a little confused...

You want to print those 3 to a file?

Code:
    echo "USER Name\tUser ID\t Home Directory" > file
    If I'm entirely wrong in your process, lemme know.

uhhhh - Before you try out Cabhan's idea -- let me ask you some questions...

Are you wanting to add a header to an already-existing file (with data already in it), or create a file (with header) to which you will afterwards add more data?

Are you wanting to do this "one time", or are you trying to set up something to place the header in a file as it is generated (from a program)?

(No offense to Cabhan, but...)
    If you try the 'echo' command on an existing file (with data already in it), it will get over-written (you will loose your data)...

It would be very helpful if you can describe in more detail what you are trying to do...

Just Joined!
    Thanx for replying to my help question and trying to help me out. What I'm trying to do is that I already have a file called Project1 with information in it like so.

hanak:##chanak:10665:250::/home/home1/summer/chanak:/bin/bash
    ling:##yling:9033:310::/home/home1/ugrad/yling:/bin/bash
    sorgent:##tsorgent:10405:250::/home/home2/grads/sorgent:/bin/bash

That information is already in the file. What I want to do is add the headers ontop of that information without deleting the information that is in the file. Adding this to the top of it "USER Name User ID Home Directory" and sperating it accordingly. I know I need to use awk and BEGIN but can't get it to work. Really appriciate the help.

Are you wanting to do this "one time", or are you trying to set up something to place the header in a file as it is generated (from a program)?

Just Joined!
    Just one time I want this to run. You to wrtie the code for it to happen. One time only.

If this is a one-time thing, why don't you just open the file with your favorite editor, add the header, save, and exit...

(Is this homework? --- )

Just Joined!
    Can't add headers like that. I already figured it out. Thanx for the help though.

sed -e 's/:/ /g' -e 's/grads/others/g' -e 's/ugrad/another/g' ~/Desktop/aprojectfile.txt | awk '
    BEGIN {print "USER Name ", "User ID ", "Home Directory" ;}
    {print $1," ", $3, " ", $5 ;}' > projectA4