Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to run a webserver with RedHat Linux 8.0. But first I have some questions. I don't know if this is the place to put them but ohwell. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

redhat linux and running server

I am going to run a webserver with RedHat Linux 8.0. But first I have some questions. I don't know if this is the place to put them but ohwell. I use asp, is there any program that will let linux run asp like normal? It must be freeware or GUL. And how do I now do a DataBase? Just use MySQL? Does it work like MS's ODBC or SQL? Thanks for the help, I am just really confused on it...

Linux Engineer
    The syntax is the same for all sql database servers with very few variences like when setting permissions. Mysql is great for small databases, only problem I have with mysql is that there is no transactions or intersect yet. When I say small databases, I mean like under 500,000 entries in a field. As for asp, there is an Apache::ASP module you can use. I think it runs off of mod_perl so you will need to install that as well.

Linux Guru
    How MS-compatible is that ASP module, really? I mean, MS ASP is so heavily COM-based, so it can't really be that compatible, right?
    Not that I'd care to use ASP when there's PHP, I was just wondering.

Linux Engineer
    We used that asp module at my previos job without any problems with it. I am sure it has some limitations but I don't know what they are since I didn't do any development with asp.

Just Joined!
    WHy asp? Well first off, I already know it and second I already have the books for it and thirdy and have some friends helping me with my code and they only use ASP. I might look into php though but I wouldn't know how to do anything complicated.

Linux Guru
    Don't worry; there's more documention on www.php.net than anyone would ever need.