Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The really simple things always get me

OK I put-

set i = hello

which according to all I've read should make a variable called i containing 'hello'.

Yet when I put in

echo $i

I get just a blank line.
    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? This little thing is really getting in my way of doing what I need to do.

I'm using SSH secure shell.

I don't script, but everyone usually recommends this. I suspect you don't need the 'set' statement.

I think when you say 'secure shell' you might mean the sh shell ... I'm assuming this is a shell script you are writing.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

ah...got it, not supposed to have spaces...
    But then how do you use such commands?
    if I was to do in a script
    mv * $i
    to move all files into hello it comes up with a strange error about mv being a missing file argument?
    I had previously done read i. What is it if not read?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Someone else will handle this for you, but *be careful* using the mv command. You might consider using cp instead to copy files (at least until you are sure that things work).

mv can alter your file names beyond recognition.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Having tried other things I think my problems come down to the $read command.
    It never works.
    I set them and they load into scripts as blanks or not at all.

The first bit of information that would be good for us to know is, what shell environment or scripting language are you using? 'set i = hello' is a perfectly good 'csh'/'tcsh' statement, but will not work in 'bash' or 'perl'... (I am guessing you are writing a 'bash' script?)

Quote Originally Posted by Boriss
    Having tried other things I think my problems come down to the $read command.
    It never works.
    I set them and they load into scripts as blanks or not at all.
    read always works for me. Can you post a snippet of a script that you think isn't doing what you've coded it to do?