Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm optimizing a very intesive inner-loop (with assembly code) and have gotten the user mode time down to about equal, in time, with the system mode. I'm using SSE3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ldb
    Just Joined!

My program spends 50% of the time in kernal mode?

Ok, I'm optimizing a very intesive inner-loop (with assembly code) and have gotten the user mode time down to about equal, in time, with the system mode. I'm using SSE3 extensions, prefetching, and all the fun-stuff for the lowest level, but I fear, now, it's time for me to turn my attention to the interactions with the Linux Memory Management to get any more improvement. At this level, I'm pretty much a Linux newbie. I understand fully the theory of memory management, but the implementation details I'm completely void of....

Here's my problem.. I have no idea what it's doing for 50% of the time! Is there some easy way to tell what kernel services are being asked for by a given process?

My application takes a huge array (15+mb) does some math, and stores that answer into another array. This is done entry by entry, with a -very- large spatial dependance (ie, each output is only dependant on the array elements near it.. so things fit in cache nicely).

I do this almost exclusively in assembly code (from ada). The only possible kernel operation that makes sense is page faulting, but when I use the time command in cshell, the number of page faults doesn't change when I do a varying number of iterations, it stays constant (maybe I'm not using this command correctly).

If it helps, my naive breakdown of the assembly seems to indicate that the culprit is a STORE instruction (specifically non-temporal WC store, "MOVNTPS"). I only guess this because i do some major comment-voodoo and isolate this instruction, and it appears to be the only one with a high% of system time.

So, can anyone help?

Thanks,
    -ldb

You might want to try to use:
    Code:
    strace
    , which traces, as the name implies, system calls.