Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dudes, I backup my /home directory every Monday night. I have a DVD burner and I'd like to write a script that 1. checks to make sure the DVD has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Script to move backup to DVD

Dudes,
    I backup my /home directory every Monday night. I have a DVD burner and I'd like to write a script that

1. checks to make sure the DVD has enough room for the latest backup and then
    a. burns the file to DVD or
    b. send me an email telling me to put another disk in

Is this even possible?
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

scm
    Linux Engineer
    If you can do what you want to do on the command line, you can certainly put it in a script. df will tell you how much free space you've got on the DVD (man df for details), ls (or stat on Linux) will tell you how big your backup file is so you can make sure it'll fit, use whatever command you're using to burn the DVD, and then "man mail" to see how to send email.

HTH,
    Steve

Linux Guru
    I guess that's were I'm having trouble. The methods I've seen for transfering files by burning them are all quite complicated, ie first convert to iso, making sure to set it the multisession, then some other complicated thing to make sure you're starting at the right block on consecutive sessions, then finializing the session, etc... That's way to complex. For that amount of work, it'd be just as easy to drag and drop using K3b!

Is there a simple way to command line copy a multisession CD?

Jeremy.
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close