Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
just want to ask the group.. how can i run xorgconfig? (showing the dbase of all drivers of hardware attached to my cpu) do i really need to run runlevel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

running xorgconfig database

just want to ask the group.. how can i run xorgconfig? (showing the dbase of all drivers of hardware attached to my cpu) do i really need to run runlevel 3 or can i just type xorgconfig in bash/shell?

thanks in advance
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

xorgconfig will only create a xorg.conf file. Therefore, you are free to run it with X running (in other words, no you don't have to boot into runlevel 3).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie
    cn i configure dat with X running? hmm could you tell me how? wt will i type in d bash/shell>? newbie here
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To run xorgconfig, simply type xorgconfig. Follow the questions on screen and pay close attention to them. You will want your monitor info with you as it will ask for things like vertical and horizontal refresh rates. When you are done, move the created xorg.conf file to /etc/X11/.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Linux Newbie
    hmm move? y, where will the config b saved while m doing the changes? all i thought is the changes that il be doing will be automatically be saved at the same time in /etc/x11...

The xorg.conf file will be created in the current directory. If you have just opened up a terminal, you would be at your home directory for example.

When you are done, simply type as root:
    Code:
    mv xorg.conf /etc/X11/
    Bryan

Linux Newbie
    oic,., a million thanks sir.. much appreciated..

Just Joined!

xorgconfig

I am typing xorgconfig on my root folder but i get
    -bash: xorgconfig: command not found

Is there any thing I should do before running xorgconfig or do I need to run it in any specific directory?

Any help would be appreciated

Linux Newbie
    RE: xorgconfig.. to sir bryansmith... hmm running xorconfig in X (using CL) can be achieved BUT it does NOT save ur configs... (i did it yesterday) instead i made it running in level 3.. -> that's the time it changed the configs... (hmm m wonderin' y slackbook told that xorgconfig can be done in X? but does not save the config? )

Linux Newbie
    to alsi: have u tried locating ur xorgconfig?

-> whereis xorgconfig

OR to be sure... run ur box in level 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast