Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I am considering learning Perl. It seems to be a great language and everyone who uses it seems to enjoy it. So, does anyone know any really good ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Perl Books

Hey everyone,

I am considering learning Perl. It seems to be a great language and everyone who uses it seems to enjoy it. So, does anyone know any really good Perl books?

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

The two best books for Perl are:

- Learning Perl (aka The Llama Book)
    - Programming Perl (aka The Camel Book)

The former is a tutorial on learning Perl, and is one of the best "teach-me-a-language" books I've ever read. The latter is considered the Bible of the Perl language, and is a reference for everything in Perl, as well as diving into some advanced concepts not found in Learning Perl.

Both are published by O'Reilly. I recommend getting "Learning Perl" for a starter.

I've learned on Perl in 21 Days (Sam's Publishing) and Advanced Perl Programming (O'Reilly) with the assistance of google and other various websites. Perl is a many-faced, popular language, so you'll never be at a loss as far as online resources go.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Thanks guys,

I think it is between Learning Perl and Sams Teach Yourself Perl in 21 Days. I will have to skim through them first at the bookstore.

As a side note, its pretty cool that Programming Perl is written by Larry Wall. I will have to look into that one after some more practice (not a programming noob but definetly a Perl noob ).

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Perl in 21 Days (Sam's Publishing)
    i've heard that this one is meant to be diabolically bad. in linux format magazine, it got something like 2/10. o'rielly tend to do good books.

bryansmith
    from the reviews i've seen, you are best off sticking to the o'reilly series.

I should check all my Linux Format magazines. They have those book reviews in them and I respect their opinions.

Thanks for indirectly giving me the idea .

Bryan

bryansmith
    post back here with the title of your chosen book

I would go with learning pearl, you can get it at http://www.bookpool.com/ for 48% off.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    As a side note, its pretty cool that Programming Perl is written by Larry Wall.
    Bryan
    Larry is a great writer, too - his is one of the few technical books that I've found to be a pleasure to read in its own right. Checkout the many humorous footnotes contained therein.