Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to do some web site promo/listings. I've submitted the url to google for review which takes 4 to 8 weeks to occur. I also went to yahoo.com to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Web site developement promotions

I need to do some web site promo/listings. I've submitted the url to google for review which takes 4 to 8 weeks to occur.

I also went to yahoo.com to do the same but it seems you have to pay to be considered now. It wasn't always like that. It was free but with no promises which for free is fine. Anyone know a specific url for yahoo (U.S) to submit a site for free? The category is general local news.

What about other search popular engines? I know of a good number of search engines but other than google and yahoo are their any other popular search engines today? Or do most avg usrs just goto google?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

I have no idea, but you can add something like

<meta name="keywords" content=""> to your site to add some keywords to the spider to ''help'' it. I wouldnt rule it out

flw
    Linux Engineer
    yep, meta tags are all setup.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i think that altavista is still pretty popular.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Submit to dmoz gives some power and also means you get spidered from lots of engines but make sure you submit to the right catorgory. Yahoo has websites and webpages IIRC. Websites you have to pay unless you are non-profit and they are displayed on the first page. And webpages are free for all.

Linux Newbie
    hey try this
    go to one of them free web hosting sites that will submit you to them for free, sign up then just make an immadeate link to this site, then your submitted for free
    (i didn't say this^_^)
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Linux Guru
    You can submit to www.alltheweb.com - most of your hits will come from search engines. I would also recommend you try to find out any other "local" websites, see if that want to recip links with you.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Used j's alltheweb and altavista's which both have a front end almost the same. I wonder if their off the same db?

So I've hit alltheweb, altavista, google so far, any others I may have missed that are big and free
    Dan

Linux Engineer
    http://astalavista.box.sk (i think that's right...)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr