Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi to all... I know... I've already posted here for licencing problem, but I can't figure out how to solve my licence problem... I've wriiten an application. This should be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Licence solution...

Hi to all... I know... I've already posted here for licencing problem, but I can't figure out how to solve my licence problem...

I've wriiten an application. This should be used as proprietary software (becuase my boss ) but I still want find a workaround to release this application as open source project.
    This proprietary application will be different from the open source application (because nobody could benefit from my proprietary application, or at least I think).

The problem borns because my two application share most of the code.

Anyone knows about a solution? I can release the project as open source, and using it as base for my proprietary software? I don't want to use BSD/MIT like licences (because anyone can sub-licencing), I want the application will remain opensource ever, but I still want it for my proprietary product...

Why it's so complex!
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

Just Joined!

Re: Licence solution...

Quote Originally Posted by burnit
    Hi to all... I know... I've already posted here for licencing problem, but I can't figure out how to solve my licence problem...

I've wriiten an application. This should be used as proprietary software (becuase my boss ) but I still want find a workaround to release this application as open source project.
    This proprietary application will be different from the open source application (because nobody could benefit from my proprietary application, or at least I think).
    ut oh.. you said boss.. take a look at your contract .. more than likely everything you create in the workplace belongs to the company.. not you

Linux User

Boss...

No. I'm not under contract (or at least I'm not dependent by that software-house).

I own the copyright. Then, my "boss" ( ) sell it in a close box wich is used thru a web interface.

My first solution is a classic: build up a LGPL library wich contains all code shared, and then a single program linked with the library.

This is a nightmare because projecting a solid library is very very very hard (especially for my project): so now I'm looking for a solution for merging all code in a unique project, wich can be used also for the proprietary purpose.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    While I know very little about licensing, might it be possible to release under dual licenses?

That is, release one version under the GPL that would contain all the non-proprietary stuff. This would be OSS and all that jazz, and available to everyone.

The proprietary version would then be released under whatever license you wish. It could contain the same code (as the GPL does not bind the developer, only those who use the application) along with the proprietary enhancements.

Just Joined!
    http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licensing.html
    This reminds me of how trolltech licenses their QT library.. i think it's bound by three of them, each for a different audience

Linux User

Yeah...

Yes, you're right!

Thank to all.