Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya, I'm about to try and begin implementation on a project that me and a friend have been discussing for a while. The idea is to develop a linux based ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which language/toolkit to use for media player?

Hiya,

I'm about to try and begin implementation on a project that me and a friend have been discussing for a while.
    The idea is to develop a linux based system that can be hooked upto a Home cinema setup, so we can play our music / movies etc from one place.

The idea is run a fairly minimal amount of software on the system and have everything co-ordinated by an easy to use menu system (controlled from a wireless keyboard) with information about the media stored on a MySql database.

So...
    It seems I will need to write some sort of media player, I'm planning on having the MP3 player as part of the application , but probably launching MPlayer or something in order to play movies.

I'm going to need to use the following

An Mp3 playing library
    An ID3 Tag Reader (I can probably write my own if needs be)
    A GUI toolkit
    A way of accessing MySQL in the program
    A programming language to tie it all together.
    A way of interacting with the operating system and issuing shell commands.

Initially I was going to use Tcl/TK with the "snack" library for everything, but I got put off because TK GUIs look pretty ugly...

I thought about Java , but I'm sick of using Java really and AWT/Swing GUIs arent very nice either (or very fast and stable)

Then I got excited about Mono , since I've already written some C# under windows and actually like the language, but upon further inspection there seems to a lack of documentation and a good IDE (monodevelop is coming along but is miles behind the likes of visual studio).
    It also seems that seems that using Mono would require a totally different set of libraries to those that windows would use , such as GTK# etc and I couldnt find a convincing MP3 library.

I thought about C++ , but I have VERY little experience with this language , and it would seem rather overkill and probably increase development time ALLOT.

Now my thoughts seem to have turned to python, which has been recommended as an easy language to learn, however I'm pretty much clueless about it, what would I use for each of the above requirements if I was to implement in python?

It would also be rather nice if I could make this software run on Mac and Windows also..
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Newbie

Re: Which language/toolkit to use for media player?

Hi, I hope Im not too late

Quote Originally Posted by spythebeast
    I thought about C++ , but I have VERY little experience with this language , and it would seem rather overkill and probably increase development time ALLOT.
    Probably... but you could give wxWidgets a shot. Really ass-kicking GUI toolkit... and that coming from the guy who has tested almost every GUI toolkit on earth looking for teh winna

Now my thoughts seem to have turned to python, which has been recommended as an easy language to learn, however I'm pretty much clueless about it, what would I use for each of the above requirements if I was to implement in python?
    An Mp3 playing library = PyMedia
    An ID3 Tag Reader = id3reader or PyTagger
    A GUI toolkit = WxPython
    A way of accessing MySQL in the program = Mysql-Python
    A programming language to tie it all together = Python
    A way of interacting with the operating system and issuing shell commands = Python Built-In

It would also be rather nice if I could make this software run on Mac and Windows also..
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    WxWidgets is cross-platform... and it acts as a "layer" on top of the underlying OS API. This means, it will look windowish on windows, linuxish on linux, and mackish on mac

WxWidgets has several ports for several languages... wxPython, wxLua, wxRuby, wx.NET, wxPerl, etc..

Cheers!